- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical Sales Agronomist - Switzerland
- International Retail Account Manager Fruit
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Fruit
- Territory Account Manager - Texas, Colorado, and the Toronto/Niagara area of Canada
- National Development Manager, Bravo(TM) Apples - Australia
- Greenhouse Head Grower and Manager - Canada
- Greenhouse operations manager - Canada
- Sales Representative - Canada
- Product Specialist, Indoor Hydroponics - United States
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Despite salad culture, new greens need to be introduced gradually
"We have a real salad culture here in Greece, so it is the perfect fit, however, the market here is still pretty traditional, so it takes a bit of time before consumers try something new. Saying that, the market has changed a lot over the last 10 to 15 years, when you could pretty much only find Romaine and Batavia lettuce, now we are seeing more variety, like head lettuce and baby leaves," explains Antonis.
The company has deliberately introduced new greens into the market to ease Greek consumers into the new products.
"We started by introducing baby leaves into salad mixes, and we introduced a new line at Freskon, which will include baby kale, along with the 'Perivoli' living salad. Although consumers here want to be healthy, offering them a full bag of kale would be too much for them and they wouldn't really know what to do with it, which is why we have included baby kale into our salad mixes, something they are familiar with. We are targeting forward thinking consumers with our new line, who are bored of the traditional offering and would like to try something different. These same consumers are very aware of superfoods and want to add more to their diets," Antonis said.
Farm Vezyroglou produces around 3,000 tons of lettuce annually, across 70 hectares. For now, the company is active domestically and in neighbouring countries, but once the brand has been built up, they plan on expanding their exports further afield.
"The face of the company, a garden bunny, is on every salad packaging we offer. We feel that a mascot helps us build our brand, making it more recognisable, when you see the bunny, you know that it is a high quality product."
For more information:
Tel: +30 6974119610
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-31 Greek apricot season starts next week
- 2019-05-29 Greek kiwi growers starting to explore new markets
- 2019-05-28 Greece: Imports of fresh fruit and vegetables up in Q1
- 2019-05-27 Greece: Hydroponic workshops launched in Corfu
- 2019-05-24 “Our goal is to increase the quality of Greek cherries and the packaging it’s delivered in”
- 2019-05-23 Greek Valencia season difficult due to weather and competition
- 2019-05-22 Export of Greek watermelons starts soon
- 2019-05-20 “It’s difficult to compete with Italy and Spain due to their location”
- 2019-05-16 Greek peach season starting, large yield expected thanks to cold winter
- 2019-05-15 “Barring any unexpected events, we anticipate a good grape season”
- 2019-05-14 “Greek watermelons need sunny days like ice-cream”
- 2019-05-13 “The past two weeks there a was a drop in strawberry production of 60 per cent”
- 2019-05-10 “There’s still availability in certain apple varieties”
- 2019-05-09 Greek asparagus season disappointing due to early German start
- 2019-05-07 Freskon hosted 215 exhibitors and 205 international buyers this edition
- 2019-05-06 "First Greek cherries and peaches arriving this week"
- 2019-05-03 Tough strawberry season for Greece - Easter ensured market recovery
- 2019-05-02 Kenyan and Greek ports set to sign twinning agreements
- 2019-05-01 Photo report: Zeus packhouse
- 2018-06-04 Pomegranates bring good luck, wealth and health in Greece