- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Promoting European kiwis at Sial in Montreal:
Greek kiwi exports to Canada see largest growth
Back in May of 2016, European kiwi farmers made the first trip to Sial in Canada and during an intense three days, the kiwifruit growers met with fruit importers and consumers, and explained their meticulous approach to producing consistently abundant yields of high-quality kiwifruit that meet stringent European Union quality and safety standards—often under a scorching Mediterranean sun.
The farmers were greeted by a receptive audience and soon after, Canadian demand for European kiwifruit skyrocketed.
Premium European kiwi exports to Canada have increased by 9 per cent since 2013. While Italy is the largest European exporter, averaging approximately 96,000 tons a year, Greece saw the largest increase in exports, growing consistently from 3,079 tn in 2013 to 9, 743 tn in 2017—an increase of 220%. Spain and Portugal have also experienced a modest growth.
“European kiwifruits are cultivated, harvested and distributed with the highest quality standards. Although the trade sector has long appreciated kiwifruits coming from Europe, the consumers in Canada had low awareness on the fact that the European Union countries produce kiwifruits, let alone that they are among the best in the world. When we launched our campaign Premium European Kiwi we aspired to communicate this message – the warm welcome we have received from the Canadian consumers indicates that we have succeeded,” commented Mr Michail Xekarfotakis, President of the Agricultural Cooperative NESPAR, coordinator of the Premium European Kiwi campaign.
European kiwi farmers will once again attend SIAL Canada, Montreal from May 2 to May 4 at Booth 2541, to explain the significance of their kiwifruit to the European agricultural market as a whole.
For more information:
Tel: +30 6974 411318
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-31 Greek apricot season starts next week
- 2019-05-29 Greek kiwi growers starting to explore new markets
- 2019-05-28 Greece: Imports of fresh fruit and vegetables up in Q1
- 2019-05-27 Greece: Hydroponic workshops launched in Corfu
- 2019-05-24 “Our goal is to increase the quality of Greek cherries and the packaging it’s delivered in”
- 2019-05-23 Greek Valencia season difficult due to weather and competition
- 2019-05-22 Export of Greek watermelons starts soon
- 2019-05-20 “It’s difficult to compete with Italy and Spain due to their location”
- 2019-05-16 Greek peach season starting, large yield expected thanks to cold winter
- 2019-05-15 “Barring any unexpected events, we anticipate a good grape season”
- 2019-05-14 “Greek watermelons need sunny days like ice-cream”
- 2019-05-13 “The past two weeks there a was a drop in strawberry production of 60 per cent”
- 2019-05-10 “There’s still availability in certain apple varieties”
- 2019-05-09 Greek asparagus season disappointing due to early German start
- 2019-05-07 Freskon hosted 215 exhibitors and 205 international buyers this edition
- 2019-05-06 "First Greek cherries and peaches arriving this week"
- 2019-05-03 Tough strawberry season for Greece - Easter ensured market recovery
- 2019-05-02 Kenyan and Greek ports set to sign twinning agreements
- 2019-05-01 Photo report: Zeus packhouse
- 2018-06-04 Pomegranates bring good luck, wealth and health in Greece