- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Business Development Manager - Madrid, Spain
- Commercial Manager - Amsterdam / Europe
- Regional Sales Representative/Manager - Southwest Region (USA)
- IPM Manager
- Sales Manager
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Agricultural Tech EU Sales Representative - London, UK
- Sales Administrator - Bleiswijk, The Netherlands
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Approximately a pound of food per person wasted daily in US
Maintaining the environment while also improving diet quality is an important and challenging global issue. Previous research has examined the relationship between diet and environmental sustainability, but food waste has not yet been considered as a factor.
To investigate the impact of diet quality on food waste and environmental sustainability, Conrad and colleagues collected data on food intake and diet quality from the Healthy Eating Index-2015 as well as data on food waste. Using a biophysical simulation model they were able to estimate the amount of cropland used to produce wasted food. Data from various US government sources also allowed the researchers to estimate the amount of agricultural amendments such as irrigation water, pesticides and fertilizers used to produce uneaten food.
The researchers found that US consumers wasted approximately one pound of food per person daily from 2007-2014, with 30 million acres of cropland used to produce this food every year. Interestingly, higher quality diets with more fruits and vegetables were associated with more food waste, but used less cropland than lower quality diets, while simultaneously wasting more water and pesticide resources.
These findings indicate that simultaneous efforts to improve diet quality and reduce food waste are needed. The authors suggest that educating consumers on how to prepare and store fruits and vegetables is one practical method to help reduce food waste.
For more information: journals.plos.org
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-01-20 ‘Very dangerous’ thunderstorm wreaks havoc in QLD as nation hit by wild weather
- 2020-01-20 Population of US states - in millions
- 2020-01-20 Destructive spotted lanternflies found 15 miles from Ohio’s border
- 2020-01-20 Number of Israeli farms dropped 61% over four decades
- 2020-01-17 Philippines: Highland farmers send more vegetables to Taal volcano victims
- 2020-01-17 Weather warnings in every Canadian province & territory but one
- 2020-01-17 Entire EU bans Bayer insecticide
- 2020-01-17 Philippines: Volcano damage to agriculture now at ₱577 mln
- 2020-01-17 Daily hours spent with digital media per adult user in the United States
- 2020-01-17 South Africa: Possible Lepidoptera pest outbreak
- 2020-01-16 Exchange of knowledge, ideas and experience among Freshcut experts
- 2020-01-16 Better ties between China & US to impact yuan
- 2020-01-16 Area of land burnt in Australia & smoke covered area
- 2020-01-16 Locusts compound troubles of Somali farmers in flood-hit Hiran region
- 2020-01-15 US: $1.5 million worth of cocaine seized at Pharr International Bridge
- 2020-01-15 "Babies born in 15 seconds"
- 2020-01-15 South African farmers to be vigilant for presence of fall armyworm moths
- 2020-01-15 Agri minister urges Australian supermarkets to support farmers
- 2020-01-15 South African agriculture needs to become expert at international relations
- 2020-01-15 New Zealand orchardist fined for breaches against Bay of Plenty migrant workers