- Junior buyer/ seller - Alicante, Spain
- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- Sales Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
- "We expect about 8,000 boxes of Egyptian strawberries this season"
- “Our goal is to reduce food waste by extending shelf-life”
- New Colombian grower base expands year-round avocado offering
- Arunachal kiwi fruit growers try to take on New Zealand
- Organic avocado pricing becoming more accessible to consumers
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
High volumes for Australian Modi™ Apple growers this season
MJ Hall and Sons Orchard owner Shane Hall says peak harvest is in early March, so the crop is harvested now, sitting in cool store waiting for customers to purchase them.
"The public are going to get a good opportunity to try some really good quality Modi this year as there should be plenty around," Mr Hall said. "The Modi trees are maturing nicely as some are now 5 and 6 years old, so the quality of fruit is improving as the trees mature. The shape and size of Modi this year is probably the best I’ve seen. The season is shaping fantastically for Modi this year. The colour is very bright, and our warm summer has created extremely sweet flavour so the taste of the Modi this year is as good as I have ever eaten."
Modi™ it is the first premium red apple with a hint of yellow. It has a modern taste that provides the perfect balance between sweetness and acidity, crunchiness and juiciness. The unique feature of this product is its crisp, crunchy flavour with a superb rich red colour. Mr Hall says it is produced in many countries across the world including Italy, Russia and the US. Production volumes in these countries is often vast so Australia is not at those levels, but volumes are increasingly strongly, with a good response from the public.
"They are such a sweet, good looking apple I can understand why people love them, they sit on the shelf firm for quite a while with good crunch," he said. "Modi is a great apple, and think the public will enjoy them more and more with the quality they will see on the shelves this year. Even though they originated in Italy, I think the Modi grown in Australia is even better than what they produce in Italy, so the Australian consumer is the winner out of that result."
Originally conceived by apple breeders in Ferrara, Italy, this variety was identified by Freshmax in 2009. Over the last nine years a significant amount of planning and testing has been undertaken to identify its suitability as a premium variety for the Australian growers and consumers. In 2018 the key growers are Pulsoni Orchards, Orsida Fresh, MJ Hall & Sons, Pickworth Orchards, Oakmoor Orchards, Hall Orchards and Turnbull Orchards, for both the domestic and export market.
Group Marketing Manager of Freshmax, Matthew Crouch said that they are exploring all sorts of export markets for the product including counter seasonal opportunities.
“Modi’s unique colour and flavour make it a desirable brand to range on shelf in multiple key markets around the globe," Mr Crouch said. As consumers become more and more aware of the quite extensive range of choice available in the apple space, the varieties whose flavour is distinctive and memorable and whose branding is targeted will gain the best traction."
Photo: MJ Hall and Sons Orchard owner Shane Hall.
Mr Hall is no stranger for the fruit industry, after being introduced to the industry at an early age, so he knows a thing or two about growing quality produce.
"I grew up on an orchard, so that was my first experience, and after leaving University following my father’s death I came back to run the family business," he said. "37 years later I’m still here and love growing high quality fruit for people to enjoy. It’s been a family affair with my brothers Peter and Todd having been with me in the business through the whole journey, and we are still together."
Modi™ is marketed and distributed in Australia by Freshmax Pty Ltd and is available exclusively at Coles from March–September 2018.
For more information:
Freshmax Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 3 9688 5570
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-03-29 Tray sealing shows its green credentials
- 2019-03-28 AU: Melbourne's private wholesale market tours helping to giving start-up knowledge to new produce businesses
- 2019-03-27 Flavorite’s leap into the blueberry market
- 2019-03-26 AU: The history behind the Lindenow's transition from frozen to fresh-packaged production
- 2019-03-25 "Our pre-season volume estimates have tripled, creating a bumper year for us"
- 2019-03-22 AU: CropTracer helping to provide traceability through the supply chain
- 2019-03-21 Repeat purchase acceleration for berries, table grapes and cherries
- 2019-03-20 AU: The transition to organics has been a learning curve for Frais Farms
- 2019-03-19 Australia: Kanzi production continues its significant growth
- 2019-03-18 NZ: Enzed Exotics says the Kiwano is looking better than ever in its 10th year
- 2019-03-15 Australian mango season finishing on a high
- 2019-03-14 AU: Smart technology investment pays off for Bulmer Farms
- 2019-03-13 Catalytic Generators launches the Easy-Ripe® XT
- 2019-03-12 New Zealand: Motueka exporter opens state-of-the-art apple packhouse
- 2019-03-11 “Our first import of New Zealand apples to the Chinese market”
- 2019-03-08 NZ: Mr Apple's new varieties pass consumer tests as production prepares to ramp up
- 2019-03-07 "We've invested three years and a lot of money into building this vision grading system"
- 2019-03-06 Positive trends for apple and pear sales in Australia
- 2019-03-05 New Zealand’s growers partner up to grow premium Squash variety
- 2019-03-04 AU: New South Wales blueberry grower enjoys return to near perfect summer growing conditions