- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
‘Nigeria to rethink plantain and tomato agro policy’
This call went out from Dr Abayomi Olaniyan, the acting Executive Director of Nigeria’s National Horticultural Research Institute, speaking at a workshop on the plantain/banana and tomato value chains.
Tribuneonlineng.com quoted Olaniyan as saying: “Plantain/banana and tomato in recent times have become more important both at the domestic and foreign market. Plantain is an important food and cash crop with outstanding and proven medical and industrial relevance. It is a major staple food in Africa, and its sustained production must be considered at the national and global agricultural policy levels. Excess plantains are produced during the season, leading to wastage. This excess produce can and should be stored in the form of plantain powder.”
“The tomato is one of the most important vegetables grown in Nigeria. It is an essential cooking ingredient. It is a valuable raw material in processed products. There is a need to process tomatoes in order to reduce seasonal gluts and inconsistent year round supply.”
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Challenges faced by Philippines banana industry in 2018
- 2018-12-13 Sustainable bananas in greenhouses: first 'Dutch bananas' harvested
- 2018-12-12 China: How do banana production areas fare as a cold wave invades?
- 2018-12-12 Plantains becoming more available in mainstream US supermarkets
- 2018-12-12 Cameroon banana exports reach 17,137 tons in November 2018
- 2018-12-11 Golden opportunity for banana growers
- 2018-12-11 Open letter from African banana producers to supermarkets
- 2018-12-10 Panama: Producers of Baru file a complaint against President Varela
- 2018-12-10 Spain: Asprocan denounces EU's lack of action against banana oversupply
- 2018-12-10 France: “The banana market is suffocating”
- 2018-12-10 Italy: Selling bananas at different degrees of ripeness
- 2018-12-07 Samoa back on track with banana export to New Zealand
- 2018-12-07 China: Will the banana price recover?
- 2018-12-07 South China banana plantations expecting low temperatures
- 2018-12-07 Philippine banana brand organizes anniversary promotions
- 2018-12-07 Port of Trieste may become gateway for Europe’s banana imports from India
- 2018-12-07 Peru: Banana exports up to October amount to more than $139 million dollars
- 2018-12-07 Ghana exporting plantain to Burkina Faso, Togo and Benin
- 2018-12-06 "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- 2018-12-05 Supermarkets welcome the "new Caribbean banana"