- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Steady season for California cactus pear fruit
The fruit, also known as Opuntia ficus-indica or Indian Figs, are grown by D’Arrigo in Gonzales, CA approximately 20 miles south of their Salinas Headquarters. Competition meanwhile comes from Mexico and Italy. However, Besaw notes that typically the fruit season from those countries are during California’s off-season, though some growing seasons do overlap.
East Coast demand
Demand meanwhile for the fruit comes from mostly Eastern Canada and the East Coast including New York, New Jersey, Florida, Boston and some in the Los Angeles market. “It’s a popular ethnic item typically most popular amongst Italian and Hispanic communities,” says Besaw.
D’Arrigo has a puree processing plant in Gonzales, CA and they sell the magenta colored puree to companies that further process the puree to create cactus pear juices, sorbets, bar mixers, spirits, and cactus pear waters, including a newer product, CaliWater. “We’ve seen demand for our puree increase over the last few years,” says Besaw.
For more information:
Tel : +1-831-455-4316
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 US importer announces fifth year of expanded Spanish fruit imports
- 2018-12-14 Passionfruit - a challenging prospect for Florida growers
- 2018-12-14 Moving towards an all year round offer of avocados
- 2018-12-14 New role may alleviate kiwifruit labour shortage
- 2018-12-14 Investigation into ‘illegal’ garlic imports into South Africa
- 2018-12-14 "We extract our pomegranate arils manually 365 days a year"
- 2018-12-14 "Kaki prices are good, but don't reflect the 50% drop in the production"
- 2018-12-13 High demand for cut goods and exotics during the Advent season
- 2018-12-13 Bangladesh ambassador: 'We should export more products to China'
- 2018-12-13 China: Taizhou winter bamboo enters market early
- 2018-12-13 Turkey: New initiative to export avocados
- 2018-12-13 Australian ginger industry gains a fresh perspective
- 2018-12-13 Lychees: high quality, low quantity
- 2018-12-12 China: “White yams in short supply for many years”
- 2018-12-12 Pressure on the price of high caliber avocados
- 2018-12-11 Special time of year for jicama production
- 2018-12-11 Hamburg importer starts pomegranate season with stronger brand presence
- 2018-12-11 Honduras will export rambutan to Bolivia and Spain
- 2018-12-11 Peru: ProHass will promote avocados in China next year
- 2018-12-10 California's challenging persimmon season draws to a close