- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
First commercial volumes of Celina picked, packed and shipped
Finally the wait is over and the first commercial harvest of the Celina pear is done and dusted. The Stargrow group who own the exclusive rights to the Celina pear in South Africa, has picked, packed and shipped the first ever harvest in South Africa for commercial use of this beautiful blushed fruit mainly from orchards in the Langkloof area.
The Celina pear which bears fruit with an intense red blush, uniform shape and size of between 160 and 230 grams, or 65-75 mm in diameter. Being a summer pear it is picked sweet off the tree and ready to eat, but also has exceptional storage potential and good shelf life. Additionally, being harvest very early on in the season, it has a distinct advantage over its competing cultivars as being a season opener and does not lose its intense red blush during the hot January summer days. Needless to say this pear is in high demand and fetches a premium in the market place.
This first commercial harvest yielded good sized fruit despite the Western Cape area of South Africa where the orchards are located experiencing one of the most extreme droughts ever.
The harvested fruit has been packed in 12.5kg telescopic boxes and 800g punnets for export by the Stargrow group to European markets and the Middle East where the market for pears of this colour is almost completely empty. A small percentage was made available for local markets through Freshmark from the Shoprite Checkers Group.
Andries van der Westhuizen from the Stargrow group commented as follow: “We are very satisfied with the 2018 Celina harvest. The colour development was extraordinary, the pack outs were fantastic and the sizing good. Demand seems to be very high and we foresee great things for this variety in the future”
For more information:
Tel: +27 (0) 21 880 1882
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 China: Price "explosion" for cherries
- 2018-12-13 "We are very much focused on the online trade in convenience products"
- 2018-12-12 Rwanda: NAEB starts fruit project to shore up exports
- 2018-12-12 Italy: Cocktail Plum, a very successful tomato
- 2018-12-12 Congo: Kiwi for 14 euros/kg
- 2018-12-11 Poland: Official study on changes taking place in apple growing sector
- 2018-12-11 High demand for European apples in China
- 2018-12-11 South African fruit industry expansion shows faith in the future
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges