- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
- Product Manager Premium Beans - Rotterdam, NL
Top 5 -yesterday
- “The rest of the country can’t touch us on soft citrus”
- The latest traceability technology used to successfully enforce IP rights over illegal usage
- Challenging year for domestic orange production
- Brexit makes pound worst-performing major currency in the world
- “Our strength is the speed through the chain"
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
First commercial volumes of Celina picked, packed and shipped
Finally the wait is over and the first commercial harvest of the Celina pear is done and dusted. The Stargrow group who own the exclusive rights to the Celina pear in South Africa, has picked, packed and shipped the first ever harvest in South Africa for commercial use of this beautiful blushed fruit mainly from orchards in the Langkloof area.
The Celina pear which bears fruit with an intense red blush, uniform shape and size of between 160 and 230 grams, or 65-75 mm in diameter. Being a summer pear it is picked sweet off the tree and ready to eat, but also has exceptional storage potential and good shelf life. Additionally, being harvest very early on in the season, it has a distinct advantage over its competing cultivars as being a season opener and does not lose its intense red blush during the hot January summer days. Needless to say this pear is in high demand and fetches a premium in the market place.
This first commercial harvest yielded good sized fruit despite the Western Cape area of South Africa where the orchards are located experiencing one of the most extreme droughts ever.
The harvested fruit has been packed in 12.5kg telescopic boxes and 800g punnets for export by the Stargrow group to European markets and the Middle East where the market for pears of this colour is almost completely empty. A small percentage was made available for local markets through Freshmark from the Shoprite Checkers Group.
Andries van der Westhuizen from the Stargrow group commented as follow: “We are very satisfied with the 2018 Celina harvest. The colour development was extraordinary, the pack outs were fantastic and the sizing good. Demand seems to be very high and we foresee great things for this variety in the future”
For more information:
Tel: +27 (0) 21 880 1882
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-18 “Our strength is the speed through the chain"
- 2019-07-18 Chinese fruit prices fall
- 2019-07-17 73% of Spanish consumers eat fruit regularly
- 2019-07-16 Central fruit market in Chobhar to be completed next year
- 2019-07-15 Spain: Fruit campaign in Lleida marked by increase in production costs
- 2019-07-15 Hungary will have smaller apples this year
- 2019-07-15 The Middle East became the main destination for Ukrainian apples in spring 2019
- 2019-07-15 Ukraine’s fruit production will be reduced by a quarter
- 2019-07-12 Greece: Fierce storm damages peaches, pears apples and kiwifruit
- 2019-07-12 Estonia’s prime minister: More clarity on origin of strawberries needed
- 2019-07-11 75% of cherry harvest in Spanish region of Bierzo affected by spring rains and frost
- 2019-07-11 Scotland: Fife fruit growing facility could create 65 jobs
- 2019-07-09 Loss of fruit in Spanish province of Huesca due to June heat wave
- 2019-07-08 Ukraine: Poland’s most significant competitor on the raspberry market
- 2019-07-05 Spain: Fruit trees in Calatayud and Jiloca also hit by the heat wave
- 2019-07-05 Jammu and Kashmir produced 1.96 million tons of fresh fruit in 2018-19
- 2019-07-03 Pluots join nectarines, peaches and plums, rounding out tree fruit offerings
- 2019-07-03 State of New Jersey is a leading US fruit producer
- 2019-07-02 Fresh fruit export through port of Sanya doubles in January-May
- 2019-06-28 Spain: Lack of laborers takes a toll on marketing of Aragonese fruit