- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
New plant shows crop promise
The species was discovered in 2012 at Digboi reserve forest in Tinsukia district; since then researchers have been looking at the plant in order to find out how it differed from other varieties.
"The fruits are reddish in colour and turn blackish when ripe. The fruits then become sour-sweet,” Sarma told The Telegraph. "It could be developed as a horticultural crop, like grapes, if cultivated properly." Tests, conducted at a laboratory in Bangalore, have confirmed the presence of starch and sugar.
The species is known to be found only in the sub-tropical forests of Assam at an elevation of 300-400 metres. Its geographic range and the quality of habitat are declining continuously. Smilax sailenii is assessed as critically endangered (CR). The species is only known from its type locality Digboi reserve forest, Borjan area of Borjan-Bherjan-Padumoni wildlife sanctuary in Tinsukia district.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges
- 2018-11-22 “There is an increase in demand for Mexican berries”
- 2018-11-21 “The West consumes fruit, in the East fruit can also be a gift or an offering”
- 2018-11-20 “Belgian growers in dire straits, but entire European fruit sector is suffering”
- 2018-11-20 Italy: Agreement for marketing of the Tessa apple
- 2018-11-19 Didn't visit Interpoma 2018? Check the FreshPlaza photo gallery!
- 2018-11-19 Vietnam: fruits coming from every country but Italy
- 2018-11-14 Greeks extend European grape season
- 2018-11-13 Poland: Free apples handed out in Warsaw and Lublin