- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Apples: High prices along the value chain
A comparison of prices from October to January with the prices of previous years shows the rise in the three major apple varieties Gala, Braeburn and Golden Delicious. The effective wholesale prices for Swiss apples collected by the BLW since 2015 show an increasing price trend from October to December. They remain at a higher level in January than the average of the previous two years: +24% (Braeburn), + 14% (Gala) and + 16% (Golden).
Higher prices in retail trade as well
Swiss retail prices have also risen from October to December. Gala and Braeburn apples continue to see prices rise to 4.02 CHF/kg - 4.11 CHF/kg (3.49-3.57 euros) in January, while the price of Golden declines slightly. This means that January prices in the retail sector are between 7% (Golden) and 21% (Braeburn) higher than the average of the previous two years.
A comparison with the monthly prices of previous years shows that among the three apple varieties, going back to the year 2010/11, no such high retail prices were observed as between October 2017 and January 2018. Thus, the exceptionally high harvest losses led to noticeable price increases, going all the way to the consumer.
Read the full market report here.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 China: Price "explosion" for cherries
- 2018-12-13 "We are very much focused on the online trade in convenience products"
- 2018-12-12 Rwanda: NAEB starts fruit project to shore up exports
- 2018-12-12 Italy: Cocktail Plum, a very successful tomato
- 2018-12-12 Congo: Kiwi for 14 euros/kg
- 2018-12-11 Poland: Official study on changes taking place in apple growing sector
- 2018-12-11 High demand for European apples in China
- 2018-12-11 South African fruit industry expansion shows faith in the future
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges