- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
‘An apple by any other name would smell as sweet'
Factoids - Apples are members of the rose family
Did you know apples are a member of the rose family? Fresh apples float because 25 percent of their volume is air. In the winter, apple trees need to "rest" for about 900 to 1,000 hours below 7o C in order to flower and fruit properly. There are more than 7,000 varieties of apples grown in the world.
Archaeologists have found evidence that humans have enjoyed eating apples since 6500 B.C. On average, each of us eats more than 19 pounds of apples annually.
The name asparagus comes from the Greek language and means "sprout" or "shoot." Asparagus is a member of the lily family. Asparagus is related to onions, leeks, and garlic.
Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snakebites. Pumpkins are 90 percent water. In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling. Pumpkins contain potassium and Vitamin A.
The peach is a member of the rose family and will have a sweet fragrance when ripe. Peaches are a good source of Vitamin C.
Broccoli was probably first grown by immigrants from Italy in home gardens. In 1970, consumption of broccoli was only 0.5 pounds per person. Today, the average person in North America eats 4.5 pounds each year.
Lastly, according to a chathamdailynews.ca article, compared to 25 years ago, each American consumes every year an average of 77 pounds more vegetables, 63 pounds more grain products and 54 pounds more fruits.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 New York Produce Show attracts good crowd
- 2018-12-14 AU: Queensland and Western Australian state governments to help expand horticulture opportunities
- 2018-12-14 "The euphoria over snack vegetables has given way to reality"
- 2018-12-14 "Strikes in France are harming customers all over Europe, not just those in their own country"
- 2018-12-14 Morrisons launches 1 kilogram fruit and veg box for £1
- 2018-12-14 Agri food trade between the Netherlands and Saudi Arabia in 2017
- 2018-12-13 Pakistan fourth largest producer of chickpeas in world: FAO report
- 2018-12-13 Patients now leave Rex Hospital with bags of groceries
- 2018-12-13 New Zealand food prices ease in November
- 2018-12-13 Only Spain and Greece still active in the cucumber market
- 2018-12-12 "We want to offer Palatinate specialties in a high quality segment"
- 2018-12-12 Moldova expands exports to Russia
- 2018-12-11 West Bengal government to boost potato exports with transport subsidy
- 2018-12-11 Westminster urged to promote fruit and vegetable sector
- 2018-12-11 Growth of Vietnamese fruit and veg export slowing down
- 2018-12-10 Mauritius: 25% average drop in prices for imported fruits
- 2018-12-10 Ghana: Stray animals pose threat to vegetable production
- 2018-12-10 New holiday crop lights up the season
- 2018-12-10 Zimbabwe's farmers put their hope in irrigation scheme
- 2018-12-07 Keeping your fruit and veg fresh longer than ever imagined