- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
'Taco Friday' continues to boost avocado sales in Sweden
"The avocado is one of the most popular products in the Swedish Fruit & Veg department. Avocado demand continues to increase and is very popular in Sweden. We have the 4th highest consumption in Europe. For ICA it is our 7th largest category and we have doubled our sales in 10 years," shared Maria Wieloch from ICA.
High demand in other markets have caused prices to rise, but Maria said that this hasn't had a significant effect on Swedish buying, although more consumers tend to go for loose avocados compared to packed due to the lower price point.
ICA's main avocado suppliers are Spain, Israel and Chile during the winter months, followed by Peru and South Africa during the spring/summer. Despite there being a gap period, which can bring some quality issues, the retailer said that they have not seen an increase in complaints.
Last spring, ICA announced a campaign to use laser labelling for some of their organic fruits, including avocados. When asked how this campaign was going, Maria confirmed; "Unfortunately we have stopped the laser labelling program for avocados. The mark on the avocado was sometime hard to read and was not visible enough for the cashiers, who sometimes rang up organic avocados as conventional, which is not optimal for order forecasts. We are continuing with the laser programs for other products, such as sweet potatoes and kiwi, and have been seeing some nice results."
For more information:
ICA Sverige AB
Tel: +46 (0)768 – 03 10 49
Fax: +46 (0)42 – 39 18 69
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 US importer announces fifth year of expanded Spanish fruit imports
- 2018-12-14 Passionfruit - a challenging prospect for Florida growers
- 2018-12-14 Moving towards an all year round offer of avocados
- 2018-12-14 New role may alleviate kiwifruit labour shortage
- 2018-12-14 Investigation into ‘illegal’ garlic imports into South Africa
- 2018-12-14 "We extract our pomegranate arils manually 365 days a year"
- 2018-12-14 "Kaki prices are good, but don't reflect the 50% drop in the production"
- 2018-12-13 High demand for cut goods and exotics during the Advent season
- 2018-12-13 Bangladesh ambassador: 'We should export more products to China'
- 2018-12-13 China: Taizhou winter bamboo enters market early
- 2018-12-13 Turkey: New initiative to export avocados
- 2018-12-13 Australian ginger industry gains a fresh perspective
- 2018-12-13 Lychees: high quality, low quantity
- 2018-12-12 China: “White yams in short supply for many years”
- 2018-12-12 Pressure on the price of high caliber avocados
- 2018-12-11 Special time of year for jicama production
- 2018-12-11 Hamburg importer starts pomegranate season with stronger brand presence
- 2018-12-11 Honduras will export rambutan to Bolivia and Spain
- 2018-12-11 Peru: ProHass will promote avocados in China next year
- 2018-12-10 California's challenging persimmon season draws to a close