- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Bananas are among the most successful fair trade products.
In a recent research report on behalf of "Fairtrade International" the so-called external, environmental and social costs in the main growing countries Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Peru were calculated. In conventional cultivation, the average is around € 5.40 per box of bananas (18.14 kg). The enormous price pressure along the supply chain leads to unjust wages and bad working conditions for the employees, explains Transfair. Uncontrolled use of plant protection products can lead to health problems and leads to the loss of biodiversity in the growing regions.
Fair trade as a holistic concept supports the workers on the banana plantations, but also smallholder families. Stable minimum prices give producers planning security. Often the additional Fairtrade premium is invested in measures that increase the productivity and quality of bananas. This can increase yields and reduce water consumption and fertilizers. For organic products, an additional surcharge is paid. However, there is still room for improvement: according to the results of the study, external costs are also 2.90 euros per box for fair trade. In the opinion of Transfair, the banana sector is faced with the task of making the production of tropical fruits more sustainable in the future, with low external costs.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Challenges faced by Philippines banana industry in 2018
- 2018-12-13 Sustainable bananas in greenhouses: first 'Dutch bananas' harvested
- 2018-12-12 China: How do banana production areas fare as a cold wave invades?
- 2018-12-12 Plantains becoming more available in mainstream US supermarkets
- 2018-12-12 Cameroon banana exports reach 17,137 tons in November 2018
- 2018-12-11 Golden opportunity for banana growers
- 2018-12-11 Open letter from African banana producers to supermarkets
- 2018-12-10 Panama: Producers of Baru file a complaint against President Varela
- 2018-12-10 Spain: Asprocan denounces EU's lack of action against banana oversupply
- 2018-12-10 France: “The banana market is suffocating”
- 2018-12-10 Italy: Selling bananas at different degrees of ripeness
- 2018-12-07 Samoa back on track with banana export to New Zealand
- 2018-12-07 China: Will the banana price recover?
- 2018-12-07 South China banana plantations expecting low temperatures
- 2018-12-07 Philippine banana brand organizes anniversary promotions
- 2018-12-07 Port of Trieste may become gateway for Europe’s banana imports from India
- 2018-12-07 Peru: Banana exports up to October amount to more than $139 million dollars
- 2018-12-07 Ghana exporting plantain to Burkina Faso, Togo and Benin
- 2018-12-06 "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- 2018-12-05 Supermarkets welcome the "new Caribbean banana"