- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
For Kenyan farmer and philanthropist
KenyaGAP passion fruits open EU markets
During a visit to the Netherlands the couple realised that while this small north European country is only the size of Central Kenya, it's a major food exporter, known for its advanced agriculture. With this in mind, they sought to marry agriculture and mentoring young people in their hometown of Kitale. They started an agribusiness -on just 2 hectares- to sustain the home with 40 girls and helping them return to school.
Now his farm produces passion fruit and watermelons that he exports to the European Union. They harvest 100 kg’s of passion fruit every week, sort and pack them and export them to the EU.
To be certified to export to the EU, a KenyaGAP certificate is required from the Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK). The process of acquiring this is expensive, tedious and can involve a lot of waiting and repetition. For Mwangi, it was worth it.
The-star.co.ke reports how the income from the fruit sales has sustained his rescue home and transformed the lives of mothers and babies. The girls go back to school and Mwangi pays their fees, thanks to his passion fruit and watermelons.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 US importer announces fifth year of expanded Spanish fruit imports
- 2018-12-14 Passionfruit - a challenging prospect for Florida growers
- 2018-12-14 Moving towards an all year round offer of avocados
- 2018-12-14 New role may alleviate kiwifruit labour shortage
- 2018-12-14 Investigation into ‘illegal’ garlic imports into South Africa
- 2018-12-14 "We extract our pomegranate arils manually 365 days a year"
- 2018-12-14 "Kaki prices are good, but don't reflect the 50% drop in the production"
- 2018-12-13 High demand for cut goods and exotics during the Advent season
- 2018-12-13 Bangladesh ambassador: 'We should export more products to China'
- 2018-12-13 China: Taizhou winter bamboo enters market early
- 2018-12-13 Turkey: New initiative to export avocados
- 2018-12-13 Australian ginger industry gains a fresh perspective
- 2018-12-13 Lychees: high quality, low quantity
- 2018-12-12 China: “White yams in short supply for many years”
- 2018-12-12 Pressure on the price of high caliber avocados
- 2018-12-11 Special time of year for jicama production
- 2018-12-11 Hamburg importer starts pomegranate season with stronger brand presence
- 2018-12-11 Honduras will export rambutan to Bolivia and Spain
- 2018-12-11 Peru: ProHass will promote avocados in China next year
- 2018-12-10 California's challenging persimmon season draws to a close