- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
NZ: Fresh Food Collective appealing to smaller food growers
According to Lavich, the region's smaller food growers need to become more industrialised to meet a demand for local produce from the region's supermarkets and restaurants. “The soil and climate in Northland is ideal for horticulture. And while we grow avocados, blueberries, apples, oranges and kiwifruit, everything else is grown at a smaller level."
Lavich, who also runs the Midweek Market with Lesley A'Court in Whangarei each Wednesday, said there is an increasing demand for locally grown, spray-free, organic produce.
The New Zealand Herald quoted him as saying: "Growing is not industrial enough here. While we do have large-scale operations, most of the 140 growers in my database don't employ staff and only grow enough to sell at markets. If they grew more, they could supply the demand currently coming from Northland supermarkets and restaurants."
He said he knew of one restaurant chain owner who has decided to grow his own produce due to a lack of local suppliers. "There is a growing frustration in Northland. If we can't get our food from Northland, we get our supplies from Pukekohe and frozen food from Asia."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-19 Nigeria: Average tomato and onion prices dropped in March 2019
- 2019-04-18 Spain: “First watermelons shipped, nectarines still scarce, peaches more widely available”
- 2019-04-18 Germany: 'France was dominating Italy in cauliflower supply'
- 2019-04-18 Why do Chinese companies choose fruit over vegetables?
- 2019-04-18 Belarus: Early spring crops sowing campaign nearly over
- 2019-04-18 "Czech vegetable prices hitting the roof"
- 2019-04-17 Bowen-Gumlu growers feed nation of Australia
- 2019-04-17 Peruvian fruit and veg exports increased by 9% in value in January and February
- 2019-04-17 Spain: Asaja Murcia wants to recover horticultural trade with Russia
- 2019-04-17 AU: AHEIA pleased that government focus has turned to horticulture exports
- 2019-04-17 Ukraine does not expect tomato prices to drop soon
- 2019-04-17 Zambian government want to partner with China
- 2019-04-17 US growers harvest an increasing amount of organic tomatoes
- 2019-04-17 Tomatoes are really a fruit, but so are a lot of 'vegetables'
- 2019-04-16 Kazakhstan: Huge consumer of processed fruits and vegetables
- 2019-04-16 Growth in UK online grocery sales slowing down
- 2019-04-16 Belgium: “Every year, strawberries and asparagus are the top products for Easter”
- 2019-04-16 Lulu launching ‘Festival of Premium Qatari Vegetables’
- 2019-04-16 Zimbabwe: Exports to UK up 276 percent
- 2019-04-16 UK: Revenues have topped £25m at Puffin Produce