- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Price margins are very small:
Situation worsening for Indian potato growers
In the period 2016-17, Uttar Pradesh potato output had stood at over 15 million tonnes. A rise to 16 MT is expected for 2017-18. Potato output during the previous five years had stood at an average of about 13 MT.
Now the potato farmers are experiencing a higher supply than retail demand, inadequate warehousing facilities, non-existent potato-based food processing industry, delayed government procurement etc.
After the farmers had dumped potato in the Lucknow high security zones, minister Yogi had said the government would increase the minimum support price for potatoes -487 rupees (6.40 euros) per quintal- if required.
The business-standard.com reported that the government is aware of the farmers’ problems, especially since the new crop will soon hit the market. The state potato area is estimated at about 6,50,000 hectares.
The government procurement was, however, riddled with problems; against total potato production of over 15 MT, the procurement stood at less than 13,000 tonnes. The original target had been 100,000 tonnes.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-10 Production of French ware potatoes at 5,850,000t in 2018
- 2018-12-10 Indian onion farmers remain at mercy of market ups and downs
- 2018-12-10 Peru: Giving potatoes added value and being competitive is challenging
- 2018-12-07 Australia: McCain launches sweet potato chips
- 2018-12-07 Ireland imported 72,000 tons of potatoes in 2017
- 2018-12-07 Tearless sweet onions begin shipping this week in US
- 2018-12-07 China: Onion price shows promise of improvement
- 2018-12-06 China launches first potato-based skincare line
- 2018-12-06 Few spontaneous offers for Fontane and Challenger
- 2018-12-06 Russian phytosanitary experts to inspect Dutch and German seed potato consignments
- 2018-12-06 Carolinas fallout likely to influence domestic sweet potato supply
- 2018-12-06 Maharashtra state govt takes action after PMO acts on farmer’s complaint
- 2018-12-06 Onion market and crop update for December 6, 2018
- 2018-12-06 “Nothing spectacular on the potato market yet”
- 2018-12-05 Wisconsin seed potato outlook remains optimistic
- 2018-12-05 Louisa, the new ideal French fry potato
- 2018-12-05 New Zealand: Rain hurts South Canterbury potato production
- 2018-12-05 Italy: Agron illustrates the results of 2018 potato experiments
- 2018-12-05 India: Deesa potato farmers witness glut and falling prices
- 2018-12-04 Potato prices in Europe doubling as yields fall below average