- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Germany: Kale rediscovered: healthy greens in smoothies and salads
Kale chips present a healthy snack. For this, the cabbage is cut into bite-sized pieces, washed and dried in a salad spinner. Then make a marinade with olive oil, salt and some chili powder and turn the leaves carefully. The chips are baked on a baking sheet for 30 to 40 minutes at 130 degrees Celsius. Open the oven for a moment during baking, so the water vapor can escape.
Try kale as a drink. Put the vegetable in a blender with banana, orange and ginger, and it becomes a refreshing smoothie that combines sweet and tart aromas. At the same time, the drink provides the body with valuable ingredients. Kale has a high content of provitamin A, B vitamins, folic acid, vitamin E, K and C and minerals such as potassium, calcium and iron compared to other vegetables. Then there are fibers and phytochemicals such as flavonoids and mustard oil glycosides.
In German, kale has many names. It is a cabbage with mostly dark green, strongly curled leaves, which sit with powerful leafstalks on a single stem. Before preparation, the individual leaves are cut from the stem and the thick central ribs are removed. Then wash the leaves thoroughly, tear them into strips or cut them into pieces.
Until March, consumers will find fresh produce from German soil. Pay attention to quality when shopping. The leaves should look crisp and must have a rich green color. Often pre-cut goods are available in 1 kg plastic bags. In your cooled vegetable compartment, this ‘domestic superfood’ can be kept for a few days. In general, kale should be cooked gently, so that the valuable vitamins and minerals remain.
By the way: we are told again and again that kale tastes really good when the leaves were exposed to frost or very low temperatures. Only then some of the starch has converted into sugar. However, sugar is formed from the starch steadily with the help of sunlight, via the energy metabolism of the plant. The longer the kale matures, the more sugar is formed. During frost or low temperatures, the metabolism slows down, but sugar is stored further in the leaves. The combination of low temperatures and a longer time on the field led to the assumption that frost is necessary for an excellent taste. In newer varieties with finer leaves and higher sugar contents, this connection is now much less important.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Dehydrated garlic, gentler smell but stronger taste
- 2018-12-14 Marcel van der Pluijm starts Feeling Fresh
- 2018-12-14 Paraguay: A new variety of cabbage offers advantages to producers
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Unusual November heatwave compromised mushroom production
- 2018-12-14 Squash fruits in South Africa: First report of soft rot
- 2018-12-14 Pink garlic from Billom on the Unesco Intangible Heritage List
- 2018-12-14 China: Demand for organic sweet potato exceeds supply
- 2018-12-13 "Stable export of freshly frozen peppers to Korea"
- 2018-12-13 China garlic market analysis: Reduced surface area gives hope for price rise in 2019
- 2018-12-13 Spain: Vega Baja artichoke campaign starts with some delay
- 2018-12-13 US Retail managers: Lettuce is back, but at higher prices
- 2018-12-13 Comparison between open field and greenhouse tomatoes
- 2018-12-13 UK carrot trade better than expected
- 2018-12-13 Philippines: Iloilo City wants to replicate Chinese mushroom technology
- 2018-12-13 China: "Yunnan Vegetables" sell in more than 40 countries
- 2018-12-13 China: Bok choy price recovers as weather turns colder
- 2018-12-13 New US mushroom meat alternative: 'Pulled port'
- 2018-12-13 Delicata market developing in North America
- 2018-12-12 "Shimeji has great potential, but substrate production is very sensitive"
- 2018-12-12 Biostimulants improve the nutritional value of iceberg lettuce