- Head Grower (Vine Crops) US / Canada
- Grower/Manager - Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Junior/Senior Agronomist for Italy and abroad
- Cacao Research Collection Manager - UC Davis campus
- Commercial Manager - Europe
- Sale Manager - remote position located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- State Specialist/Extension Professor of Plant Pathology - Durham (NH) USA
- Grower - Snowflake, Arizona
- Sales Director
- Master Hydroponics Grower - Bethesda (MD) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Civil unrest brings Durban harbour and cold stores to a standstill
- South Africa: Citrus farms pull the brake on harvesting & packing as anarchy continues
- GLOBAL OVERVIEW AVOCADOS
- California drought causing multi-layered effects
- Corrugated box makers in trouble as Himachal government switches to plastic trays
Top 5 -last month
Haskap juice available in Poland for 2018
Despite there being a lot of attention throughout the sector, Anna Litwin from Blue Haskap shared that 2017 was not the easiest year for producers: "Haskap berries are still new to the Polish market and not many people are really aware of them. Unfortunately, some less experienced growers picked the berries too early last season when they weren't fully ripened, which meant they had the wrong colour and were really sour. This is really unfortunate because it can mean that those who decided to try them likely had a bad experience," said Anna.
As new varieties are being introduced, which are sweeter and less sour, Anna says she believes that the Haskap will become more popular on the Polish market in the next 2 to 3 years.
Another factor which is holding back growth at the moment is production quantities. Anna had planned on selling the berries frozen, but quickly found that the 1000kg she produced this season, wasn't enough to put on the market. However, a solution was quickly found, a juice was made from the frozen berries.
"Making Haskap juice from the frozen berries is great because the freezing process softens the tartness and gives it a good colour. We have gotten a lot of interest from health food stores, but I want to make sure that we don't get stuck in a category, I want Haskap juice and berries to be for everyone," Anna exclaimed.
The juice is concentrated and will be offered in 250 ml glass bottles for consumers and 3 litre plastic bags for the Horeca industry.
"The Haskap berry is becoming more and more popular every year, which is why I think that 2018 will be an even better year for growers. I think that it has the potential to become as popular as the blueberry, but it is going to take a few years before we get there. In the meantime, I believe that we will need to start cooperating with other growers to increase supplies and continue to adapt as we learn about more the market and the berries along the way." concluded Anna.
For more information:
Tel: +48 513-648-686
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-07-23 Imida showcased more than 60 traditional varieties of melon preserved in its Germplasm Bank
- 2021-07-23 Update on California organic pear and apple harvests
- 2021-07-23 Lower volume of Lemonade apples this season
- 2021-07-23 Enduring the ongoing effects of the pandemic is taking its toll on Australian farmers
- 2021-07-23 Monterey County: Agri industry faced big revenue drop in 2020
- 2021-07-23 Maine farms: Recent rain too little, too late for some blueberry crops
- 2021-07-23 New Massachusetts loading location for organic and conventional cranberries
- 2021-07-23 Santa Maria fall strawberries around the corner
- 2021-07-23 USA fresh blueberries arrive in China
- 2021-07-23 “Watermelon consumption stagnated after years of growth”
- 2021-07-23 “Turkish cherries were expensive this year”
- 2021-07-23 Chilean fresh fruit exports to India increased by 133%
- 2021-07-23 Fall Creek South Africa triples during its first year
- 2021-07-23 Hail and uprooting of vines negatively affect table grape harvest
- 2021-07-23 "Early Desire pears a positive exception to overall crop expectations"
- 2021-07-23 "A quickly-to-be forgotten pear season, on to a cost price-plus model"
- 2021-07-23 "Local presence is the key to our success with Balkan stone fruit"
- 2021-07-23 Perfection Fresh acquires full ownership of Fruit Master Table Grapes
- 2021-07-23 Recent rainfall is a boon for Vermont blueberry season
- 2021-07-23 "The overwhelming popularity of a new apple variety has caused some challenges"