- Sales Manager
- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
- Manager Operations - Gameren, Nederland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Violence in Mexico puts avocado exports to the US at risk
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Clearing the rubble in Spain after the severe weather; leafy vegetable shortages a sure thing in the winter"
Haskap juice available in Poland for 2018
Despite there being a lot of attention throughout the sector, Anna Litwin from Blue Haskap shared that 2017 was not the easiest year for producers: "Haskap berries are still new to the Polish market and not many people are really aware of them. Unfortunately, some less experienced growers picked the berries too early last season when they weren't fully ripened, which meant they had the wrong colour and were really sour. This is really unfortunate because it can mean that those who decided to try them likely had a bad experience," said Anna.
As new varieties are being introduced, which are sweeter and less sour, Anna says she believes that the Haskap will become more popular on the Polish market in the next 2 to 3 years.
Another factor which is holding back growth at the moment is production quantities. Anna had planned on selling the berries frozen, but quickly found that the 1000kg she produced this season, wasn't enough to put on the market. However, a solution was quickly found, a juice was made from the frozen berries.
"Making Haskap juice from the frozen berries is great because the freezing process softens the tartness and gives it a good colour. We have gotten a lot of interest from health food stores, but I want to make sure that we don't get stuck in a category, I want Haskap juice and berries to be for everyone," Anna exclaimed.
The juice is concentrated and will be offered in 250 ml glass bottles for consumers and 3 litre plastic bags for the Horeca industry.
"The Haskap berry is becoming more and more popular every year, which is why I think that 2018 will be an even better year for growers. I think that it has the potential to become as popular as the blueberry, but it is going to take a few years before we get there. In the meantime, I believe that we will need to start cooperating with other growers to increase supplies and continue to adapt as we learn about more the market and the berries along the way." concluded Anna.
For more information:
Tel: +48 513-648-686
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-14 Chile season 2019/20: 115,000 tons of fresh blueberry exports expected
- 2019-10-14 Turkish pomegranate exporters eye Far East markets
- 2019-10-11 The 11 most popular types of fruit in Germany
- 2019-10-09 "Quality and coloring of Moldavian plums is extremely good"
- 2019-10-09 Turkish producer grows heart shaped pears
- 2019-10-09 Fruit prices during China's National Day holiday week are more affordable
- 2019-10-08 Chile: Area devoted to blueberries in region of Ñuble increases by 17.3%
- 2019-10-04 UK: Flourishing fruit market generates trade in Hull
- 2019-10-03 In Colombia there could be room for more Italian fruit
- 2019-10-03 Research suggests strawberries and blackberries could help heal wounds
- 2019-10-03 Slow trade and low prices for kiwifruit
- 2019-10-03 More Uzbek vegetables and fruits to be exported to Russia
- 2019-10-01 Hungarian apple production falling to just about 400 thousand tons
- 2019-09-30 Santa Cruz County crop value rebounds to record $683 million for 2018
- 2019-09-30 Lebanon seizes 39 trucks with smuggled fruit & vegetables
- 2019-09-30 The fall of juice against the rise of fresh fruit
- 2019-09-30 Argentinians protesting the crisis: Evitas, flashmobs, and frutazos:
- 2019-09-25 Bangladesh produces 5.07 mln tons of fruit
- 2019-09-25 Huge interest in New Zealand apples and cherries following successful Asia Fruit Logistica
- 2019-09-25 Taiwan opens market to Polish apples