- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Jim Allen - New York Apple Sales
KORU® ramping up volumes in both hemispheres
"We import this apple in February and March," explains Jim Allen from New York Apple Sales. "Now we are growing it in the States too. It is an excellent eating apple, a cross between the Braeburn and Fuji apples. The Fuji gives it that high flavour and sugars and the low acid Braeburn combines them together."
Jim was at the Amsterdam Produce Show promoting the KORU® apple as it is also sold in Europe. "We are planting heavily in the US and have already harvested the New York and Washington state crops. We are in a group of three different marketers who have the right to market the apple for a grower's cooperative group who have the right to grow it. This year we harvested between 700 and 800 bins in New York and 1,500 bins in Washington state. Volumes will be increasing threefold each year in the States, just as they are in New Zealand."
The current New Zealand production is around 160,000, by 2020 they are looking at 300,000. It is a good yielding variety and a good sized apple which colours very nicely.
"We have been importing it now for 3-4 years," said Jim. "This is our second year of domestic production and KORU® is in the major retailers such as Walmart, Cosco and others. It is a hard apple which holds up very well and we are very excited about it. We think it is one of the best new apples around."
US production starts in October and runs through to January, then in February and March apples are imported from New Zealand. "What we have done this year is put some of our domestic crop in storage, we expect to bring those out a month before the new season starts. New Zealand stocks will last until August - September making an almost year round supply. This is the first year that we have put a lot in CA storage, but we have a lot of confidence that the quality will still be very good, the characteristics of the apple already point to a great storage apple."
For more information:
New York Apple Sales
Tel: +1 518 477 7200
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges
- 2018-11-22 “There is an increase in demand for Mexican berries”
- 2018-11-21 “The West consumes fruit, in the East fruit can also be a gift or an offering”
- 2018-11-20 “Belgian growers in dire straits, but entire European fruit sector is suffering”
- 2018-11-20 Italy: Agreement for marketing of the Tessa apple
- 2018-11-19 Didn't visit Interpoma 2018? Check the FreshPlaza photo gallery!
- 2018-11-19 Vietnam: fruits coming from every country but Italy
- 2018-11-14 Greeks extend European grape season
- 2018-11-13 Poland: Free apples handed out in Warsaw and Lublin