- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- France: “The banana market is suffocating”
- AU: BioPak struggling to keep up with demand as it expands further into the fruit and veg industry
- SunGold kiwifruit expected to overtake Green in 2019
- World Avocado Organisation sets the record straight: UK sales not declining
- "We believe in the potential of avocados in Europe"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Ukraine exported record volume of frozen strawberries
As already reported, Ukrainian growers lost a significant amount of the harvest due to spring frosts. Mid and late strawberry varieties were particularly affected; however, the crop's situation in the EU countries was even worse, and due to this, the demand for Ukrainian berries was extremely high.
From January to August 2017, Ukraine shipped 2.5 thousand tonnes of frozen berries worth $ 3.8 million. This is already 5 times more than in the same period last year and is, at the very least, the highest figure of the past 10 years.
"The external demand for frozen berries this year dictated the prices of raw materials in Ukraine. In July and June, we were forced to buy berries at 25-30 UAH / kg (0.79-0.95 EUR/kg), which is 2 times more expensive than in previous seasons. However, even under such conditions, competition between processing companies was very tough. In fact, the domestic market currently has a shortage of our own frozen berries, so we are forced to meet the demand with imported goods, which are mainly imported from Egypt," comments Marianna Vulkucchik, managing partner of the company All Berry.
It is worth recalling that the volume of Ukrainian frozen strawberry exports in January-August 2016 amounted to just 500 tonnes worth $ 740 thousand. In total, in 2016, Ukraine exported 700 tonnes of frozen strawberries worth about $ 1.02 million.
Just like in 2016, the main market for Ukrainian products remains the EU. As experts point out, in the current season, the EU accounted for almost 80% of all exports of Ukrainian frozen strawberries.
By contrast, neighbouring Poland has significantly reduced its exports. According to the portal sadyogrody.pl, the shortage of raw materials in Poland this year was extremely high, and prices for industrial berries were almost 2 times higher, reaching up to 5.1 złoty/kg (1.2 EUR/kg).
Poland is the main supplier of frozen strawberries in the EU market and the second largest exporter of these products. In the last 5 seasons, according to Eurostat, Polish frozen strawberries have had a share of 30% of the total supply in the EU market and of 20% in the global market. But due to a drop in the supply from Poland, EU consumers this season have been forced to increase their purchases from Ukraine, Spain and Egypt.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-11 Spain: Murcia exporting 26% more juice
- 2018-12-05 Italy: pomegranate juices are increasingly successful
- 2018-12-04 Italy: the supply chain behind the most famous juice brands
- 2018-11-28 New range of artisan V products
- 2018-11-26 Fashion watermelons to be marketed all year round thanks to 100% natural juice
- 2018-11-23 China: Is concentrated apple juice export "frozen"?
- 2018-11-14 First highly specialized pear-processing plant built
- 2018-11-09 Aviko to close German factory
- 2018-11-08 Black garlic puree has no E-numbers
- 2018-11-06 Ready-made salad producer offers lighter Thanksgiving dinner option
- 2018-11-06 Celery juice - the new super hero among juices?
- 2018-10-25 Portugal: “Quality and Safety of Fresh-cut Produce” course brings experts together
- 2018-10-23 Green Giant™ Fresh debuts new line of vegetable meal bowls
- 2018-10-23 Home-made gazpacho, hummus and guacamole at thematic and interactive stand
- 2018-10-22 Spain: The "Cook it yourself" concept arrives in Anecoop
- 2018-10-18 Russia: Price of apples for processing continues to fall
- 2018-10-16 Big hit in Japan: Black garlic molasses
- 2018-10-12 Spain: Experts from eight countries analyze fruit preserves market
- 2018-10-11 Organic specialty salad producer to launch new products at PMA
- 2018-10-11 New plant-based dip product line launched