- Head, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
- General Manager - Oxnard (CA) USA
- Trader Fruit - Rungis (France)
- Fruit & vegetables Export - Import manager
- Import-Export senior Sales Agents to Europe - Barcelona, Spain
- Teamleader Agronomist Vertical Farm - Poeldijk, The Netherlands
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- QA Officer Retail - Maasdijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Latest steps in the plastic reduction strategy of this retail company
Germany: REWE now only sells unpackaged bananas
It all started with organic bananas, which since 2013 have been offered more often without protective foil. The amount of plastic saved this way adds up to more than 192 tons. Now all packaging of bananas will be terminated in order to further the company’s sustainability goals. This will result in the elimination of an additional 85 tonnes of plastic foil used annually.
No more plastic bags for bananas - Photo: Rewe
With the discontinuation of the plastic bag, REWE emphasizes that it continues to take further steps to reduce plastic waste. Since then, the Group has been working on various plastic avoidance initiatives in its assortments - which includes fruit and vegetables. The aim is to ban any unnecessary packaging from the shelves whenever there is no significant contribution to maintaining the quality of the produce or whenever packaging is not required by law. Of course, customer acceptance remains essential. Wherever packaging has indisputable protective and quality-preserving functions, REWE is pushing ahead with plans to replace plastic with contemporary alternative materials.
The creativity behind solutions tested or implemented by REWE becomes apparent when we look at novelties like ‘Natural Branding’. In this process REWE Organic Avocados and REWE Organic Sweet Potatoes are provided with a logo and product information through the use of a bundled light beam. In addition, REWE Organic Apples are packaged in a novel material consisting of 40 percent sun-dried grass and only 60 percent wood.
Source: REWE Group
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-01-17 Philippines: Russian group to invest 8 billion pesos in banana plantation
- 2019-01-17 Bolivia: Up to 10,000 hectares of bananas affected by floods
- 2019-01-16 "This year, the exportable supply will depend on the intensity of climate change"
- 2019-01-16 Will banana prices rise during the Spring Festival?
- 2019-01-16 Banana exports from Costa Rica to China expected to decrease this year
- 2019-01-15 Ecuador starts exporting bananas to Slovenia
- 2019-01-15 Panama: Banana reactivation in Baru
- 2019-01-15 Ecuador: Banana producers disagree with law proposal
- 2019-01-14 Price of dwarf banana rises because of the cold weather
- 2019-01-14 Europe and the US are saturated, Peru's organic banana needs the Asian market
- 2019-01-14 Water scarcity in India hits banana production in Sindh
- 2019-01-11 Bolivia: Almost 5,000 hectares of bananas affected by flooding
- 2019-01-11 Preparing for China, Longmate exports bananas through Vietnam
- 2019-01-09 "Quality organic bananas in good quantities are currently available"
- 2019-01-09 Spain: Almost 4 million kilos of Canary bananas lost due to recent wind storms
- 2019-01-09 Spain: Canary bananas have lost 10% market share to imports
- 2019-01-08 Belgium is the world's second largest importer of organic bananas
- 2019-01-08 Paraguay: Enough bananas to cover domestic consumption and export
- 2019-01-08 Northern Uganda: Innovative farmer took matooke to West Nile region
- 2019-01-07 Cold snap hits China! What will happen to the banana market?