- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -yesterday
- US: Wildfires and high winds lead to reduction of apple harvest
- “We are working to register Tropical Avocados as a quality trademark”
- Investors back Central Otago cherry developments
- Washington state Ag inspector seeks info on maggot-infested apples
- US retailers are loyal to domestic sweet potato growers
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- South Africa issues notice of termination of some citrus exports to the EU
- Ozone brings MRLs of fungicides and pesticides down within limits
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL POMEGRANATE MARKET
- "Disappointing period for mandarins recently, no stocks of oranges"
- “North American blueberry industry needs to innovate to become competitive”
Not just a pretty face
Young Dominican Republic entrepreneurs convert sugar cane land to pineapples
CaraLinda is the name of their family farm and Kisha and her brother started converting pasture land into pineapple two years ago by importing MD-2 pineapple slips from Costa Rica. They now have 125 hectares of pineapple and are exporting to the rest of the Caribbean, the US, Europe, and soon to Israel. They’ve also trademarked their pineapples with the Caralinda brand.
They are bullish on being able to market their pineapples as a premium product because they are sweeter as a result of the favorable sunlight regime and fertile soils of their area of the Dominican Republic. They are also able to guarantee this sweetness arrives at their final destination because of the large number of direct flights to Europe during the winter tourism season. They also have the advantage of shorter maritime routes to Europe compared to Central and South America.
Kisha Rodriquez and her brother are members of a recently formed Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association composed of similar young professionals who are convinced that by working together they can develop a pineapple export industry with a year around supply of consistent quality and quantity.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture funded Exporting Quality Program is helping exporters such as Kisha certify their production as GlobalG.A.P. as well as upgrade their branding to market their pineapples in premium markets. The Program is also helping the Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association strengthen their service delivery capacity to their members.
For more information:
Caralinda Agroindustrial S.R.L.
Tel: +1 829 986 8488
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-18 Brown marmorated stink bug: type and level of damage on kiwifruit
- 2020-09-18 Kiwi production trends in Italy
- 2020-09-18 The US implements restrictions on the importation of fresh figs from Mexico
- 2020-09-18 Peak period of Chinese ginger season is upon us
- 2020-09-18 "Kiwi berry has not yet fully established itself - the recognition levels are still too low"
- 2020-09-17 “We are working to register Tropical Avocados as a quality trademark”
- 2020-09-17 'Increased volumes and commitment to sustainable development'
- 2020-09-17 Egyptian garlic sales to Brazil expected to double during the upcoming season
- 2020-09-17 Exotic fruit grown in Italy
- 2020-09-16 “Goldenberries have a huge potential in the North American market”
- 2020-09-16 "Consumers are starting to need fruits like kiwis"
- 2020-09-15 "As berries and stone fruit run out, pomegranates will slowly come into focus"
- 2020-09-15 Prickly pear production down in Kasserine
- 2020-09-15 Interest from European companies in partnering with South African kiwi growers
- 2020-09-15 Bangladesh: Lucrative prices are a boon for Rangpur region ginger growers
- 2020-09-15 Pitaya cultivation introduced in Spain's Serranía de Ronda
- 2020-09-15 Kiwifruit vine decline hits the main production area in Italy
- 2020-09-14 Ecuador’s mango season set to start in week 39
- 2020-09-14 "Next year we will grow the kiwi berries with frost irrigation"
- 2020-09-14 Agreement signed for kiwifruit exports to China by ship