- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Dominican freshness and international freight connections
The Dominican Republic received 6.1 million of tourists in 2016. While the United States remains the largest source market for Dominican tourism with 2.1 million visitors, followed by Canada with 772,000; the remaining 3 million tourists primarily come from Spain, Italy, Germany, France, United Kingdom, and even Russia.
This means 67 non-stop flights from the Punta Cana airport alone to Europe, including 17 direct flights to Russia during the winter season. Other Latin America and Caribbean may have direct flights to the United States and Canada, but no one else has this level of non-stop connectivity to Europe.
This means that Dominican mangos, Asian vegetables, aromatic herbs, pineapples, and avocados can hop on direct flights to Europe and arrive in a much fresher condition with longer shelf life. The Dominican pineapple starts off with a natural sweeter advantage because of a stronger sunlight regime in the field and a less than 24-hour transit time to its final destination, which makes sure it stays just as sweet. Compare the taste of a Dominican pineapple with a Costa Rican pineapple in a European supermarket.
In fact, South American tourists also come to the Dominican Republic so South America fruit and vegetable competitors are starting to use Dominican airports for trans-shipping cargo to Europe. Dominican exporters are one among the very few countries that can export long beans to Europe because of its strong air freight connections that competitors don’t have. Long beans, needs fast and fresh transport to preserve its freshness and quality.
Dominican producers have traditionally looked to the nearby US market. The US Department of Agriculture supported Exporta Calidad Program is helping Dominican exporters understand the different requirements of the European market including box sizes, certifications, and quality standards. European tourists returning from the Dominican Republic have taken a liking to fresh Dominican produce as part of their meals. The Exporta Calidad Program is working with Dominican exporters to develop a country source of origin branding for their produce.
For more information:
Emmanuel Guzmán A.
Exporting Quality Program
Funded by the United States Department of Agriculture and implemented by IESC.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 China Easter Airlines in firm first position as global fresh produce carrier
- 2018-12-14 MSC and Traxens launch IOT pilot project to improve terminal efficiency
- 2018-12-14 French fresh produce storage company opens US headquarters
- 2018-12-14 Traffic bans on Christmas Days
- 2018-12-13 Italy: Ocean Alliance & The Alliance launch new service at La Spezia port
- 2018-12-13 Merger of Maersk Brokers and Wonsild Dry
- 2018-12-13 MSC launches Almería-Valencia container line
- 2018-12-13 Etihad Cargo expands air freight capacity for new Barcelona route
- 2018-12-13 Spain: Regular maritime container service to link Almeria and Valencia
- 2018-12-13 Solution to temperature claims in fruit transport
- 2018-12-12 Moody’s downgrades Maersk’s ratings
- 2018-12-12 Evaluation of air cargo and logistics with focus on export to Gulf States
- 2018-12-11 Cool Port wrests itself from start-up problems
- 2018-12-11 CMA CGM to help develop Port of Odessa
- 2018-12-11 "Strikes in Valparaíso affect Chile's foreign trade image"
- 2018-12-10 Zhengzhou adds Vietnam as new freight train destination
- 2018-12-07 Emirates SkyCargo: Fifth anniversary of Ecuador freight operations
- 2018-12-07 DP World Posorja has financing of $377 million
- 2018-12-06 CMA CGM and Freightos sign landmark agreement advancing digitization in the shipping industry
- 2018-12-05 Maersk: India registers 10% growth containerised trade in Q3 2018