- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: Ag dept to suspend 55 garlic importers
At a hearing, Sen. Cynthia Villar, chair of the Senate committee on agriculture and food, questioned officials of the Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) why these garlic importers continued to be on their list of accredited importers when a DOJ report in 2014 had identified them as cartel operators.
The report was released following a Senate investigation on garlic cartels in 2014 after prices more than doubled to P300 despite the absence of a shortage in the market.
The report by the DOJ-Office for Competition (OFC) also described the modus operandi of the cartel, which it said controlled 75 percent of the country’s garlic supply.
It listed 55 affiliated garlic importers supposedly controlled by four players, one of which was alleged onion and garlic cartel leader, Leah Cruz.
The report identified 24 importers affiliated to Cruz, of which five continued to receive import permits in the last three years, said Villar. These importers were Philippine Vieva Group of Companies, Bee Jee Trading, Vieva, Purple Moon Trading and RM Galvez.
Assistant Justice Secretary George Ortha II yesterday told the committee that the DOJ-OFC had forwarded the 2014 fact-finding report to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for further investigation.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-18 Thai durians face heavy competition in Chinese market
- 2021-01-15 The pandemic delays the entry of Peruvian pomegranates to China
- 2021-01-15 More colour and a brighter future for Nicaraguan red pitaya farmers
- 2021-01-14 Local produce distributor steers its business over rough roads
- 2021-01-14 India: Turmeric prices on the rise in India
- 2021-01-14 IDeA Agro and Agrintesa partner for production of SunGold yellow kiwi
- 2021-01-14 Production volume of Malaysian durian significantly declined
- 2021-01-13 'Kiwi is the fruit of Italian well-being'
- 2021-01-12 Zambian farmers hope to partner with Chinese garlic growers
- 2021-01-11 Export price of Chinese ginger increased by 40%
- 2021-01-11 Ecuador wraps up mango season, total exports were down 5%
- 2021-01-08 Demand for frozen durian shoots up in 2020
- 2021-01-08 Kurdistan Region: Ban on pomegranate imports lifted
- 2021-01-08 Zimbabwe: Garlic farmers urged to increase exports
- 2021-01-07 Recovery and development of quince cultivation in Spain
- 2021-01-07 Matsutake mushrooms, a Japanese delicacy that can cost up to € 2,000/kg
- 2021-01-06 Mango cultivars good for the tropical regions of Australia
- 2021-01-06 Chinese ginger export declines because of shipping delays and rising shipping cost
- 2021-01-06 Chinese export volume in November was higher than in previous 12 years
- 2021-01-05 Less foodservice demand for passionfruit affects pricing minimally