- Independent Sales & Business Development Representative, USA
- Experienced Tomato Grower, North America
- Breeder - Xiamen, China
- Senior Scientist, Plant Imaging - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Scientist, Plant Substrates and Nutrition - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Logistics Coordinator
- Head of Delivery and Support - Bristol, UK
- Sales Manager (Fruit & Vegetable) - Erkelenz, Germany
- Crop Inspector - San Jose (CA) USA
- Assistant Grower - Snowflake (AZ) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
- 700 refrigerated containers arriving in South Africa
- Southern Exposure wraps up successful in-person event
- T&G Global set for first commercial crop of new super-sized, blueberries
- Reemoon officially installs its first kiwifruit sorting line in South America
- AppHarvest acquires Root AI and its robotic harvester
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US Senate hears arguments on organic hydroponics
Photo Credit: CSPAN feed of Hearing
“The NOSB has drafted and considered proposals to eliminate containerized and hydroponic growing methods from organic certification,” said Mr. Crisantes. “These growing methods, which have been certified by USDA since the inception of the organic program, are crucial to meeting the rising consumer demand for organic produce.”
Mr. Crisantes identified three actions to strengthen and streamline the organic policy making process, (1) allowing for expanded diversity of the NOSB to allow for a greater variety of viewpoints, (2) increased transparency, and (3) a stronger role for the NOP in setting NOSB priorities and regulatory actions.
Senate Agriculture Chairman Pat Roberts opened the hearing expressing concern that organic regulations and the operations of the National Organics Standards Board had exposed “uncertainty and dysfunction” in the process to maintain strong and transparent development of organic standards.
"These problems create an unreliable regulatory environment and prevent farmers that choose organics from utilizing advancements in technology and operating their businesses in an efficient and effective manner,” stated Chairman Roberts. “Simply put, this hurts producers and economies in rural America."
Comprised of growers from across the country, CSO is committed to maintaining the USDA’s high standards for certifying organic produce and supports the continued allowance of containerized growing methods under the National Organic Program.
For more information:
Coalition for Sustainable Organics
+1 619 587 4341
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-04-09 Four organic Peruvian products with the greatest export potential for 2021
- 2021-04-09 Driscoll's sells ‘in conversion’ blueberries as it moves to organic production
- 2021-04-08 "Organic market for apple juices and purees has long since outgrown being a niche"
- 2021-04-08 Technavio: Organic banana market to grow by USD 252 Million from 2021-2025
- 2021-04-08 US officials must hustle to save organic trade relationship with Mexico in time
- 2021-04-06 Brio's organic green kiwi promoted in Germany
- 2021-04-02 "The kiwi is an example of the potential that organic crops have in Asturias"
- 2021-03-29 France: Organic market penalized by the closure of restaurants and communities
- 2021-03-26 Brussels launches a plan to multiply the EU's production and consumption of organic food
- 2021-03-24 Customers of Aldi, the Spanish supermarket chain, are purchasing more organic products
- 2021-03-24 "We want to prove that it's possible to conserve biodiversity and continue to be competitive"
- 2021-03-23 Morocco: Organic farming sector still expanding
- 2021-03-19 "The organic customer knows the complete seasonal calendar by heart"
- 2021-03-17 Growers will reveal vegetable growing secrets at open day
- 2021-03-16 Italian expenditure on organic fruit and vegetables grew in 2020
- 2021-03-11 IICA will cooperate with Brazilian and Peruvian regions in organic production projects
- 2021-03-10 Many Latin American countries remain important exporters of organic products like bananas, cocoa and coffee
- 2021-03-09 "There is a potential for further development"
- 2021-03-08 Organic product consumption per capita in Spain grows by 7.7%
- 2021-03-08 New biofertilizer suitable for organic raspberry crops