- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Manager / director vegetable processing Russia
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Manager Fresh - Antwerp, Belgium
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
British Columbia strawberries back on schedule
“We started three weeks earlier last year so the season will be the same length. We’re just starting later. The last two years were an anomaly, says Rhonda Driediger of Driediger Farms in Langley, B.C, who notes that this year, picking just began June 5th. “We have less than last year at the moment but we may be able to make the tonnage up with the later crop of Albion and other ever-bearing strawberries. Albion will finish in the fall depending on weather.”
The lower level of volume was due to the winter the province experienced this year. “We had winter damage that caused a 70 per cent loss in one field and the remainder of the fields had around 10 per cent loss,” she notes. The farm, which bookends its season with the Albion crops, also offers Puget, Chandler, Stella and Rainier varieties in between.
While supply is largely hailing from the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island, competition comes from down south in California. Driediger Farms considers itself a local use supplier though with berries going out throughout B.C. and Alberta. Driediger also adds that the berries are priced at $2.75-$4.00/lb. depending on the quality.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-08-31 "Colorado has an enviable position in the peach market"
- 2018-08-31 Stone fruit annual report
- 2018-08-30 Mexico: Blueberry producers want to diversify markets
- 2018-08-30 Hot summer throws Northwest organic berry market into a spin
- 2018-08-29 Record year for California strawberries tempered by market & labor
- 2018-08-29 Argentina: Producers lose 1 M$ due to a drop in blueberry export refunds
- 2018-08-28 BC blueberries end strong season
- 2018-08-28 Argentina: China to send inspectors to cherry farms and packing facilities
- 2018-08-27 Chile debates the future of the blueberry
- 2018-08-27 "Nectarine prices have been most affected by the great shortage"
- 2018-08-24 Chile analyzes the challenges of grapes, cherries, and blueberries
- 2018-08-24 Stone Fruit report Germany 2018
- 2018-08-23 Japan - 2018 Stone Fruit Annual
- 2018-08-23 Plumcots, apriums and pluots
- 2018-08-22 Chile: Despite super harvest cherry producers can't cover their costs
- 2018-08-22 Australia: Stone Fruit Annual Figures
- 2018-08-21 Maine's wild blueberry industry at crossroads
- 2018-08-21 Chile: Grapes, blueberries, and cherries at the PMA Breakfast Seminar
- 2018-08-20 "The lack of fruit is not reflected in the prices; the supply is too atomised"
- 2018-08-20 Chile stone fruit – MY2017/18