- Plant Production Operator
- Plant Manager
- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
"Fraudulently labeled "Japanese" melons found across Asia"
A survey of products sold in six Asian cities by Japan’s Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry found 927 items confirmed as being falsely labelled as being Japanese. This even included local Thai melons being sold as “Yubari Japanese melons”.
The research covered goods in some 30 supermarkets in each of the six cities. In Shanghai, wagyu beef was found to be manufactured in Australia under a prestigious Japanese brand name, while products wrongly purporting to be made by the Japanese Edo brand were widely available.
In a move to protect Japanese products from being mislabelled overseas, the ministry has embarked on a geographical indication system, whereby the names of items produced in specific regions can be registered as intellectual property. So far, 28 items, including Kobe beef and Yubari melon, have been registered.
Under the GI protection system, Japan can crack down on mislabelled food items in overseas markets through agreements with other countries to mutually protect their products. Currently, however, Thailand is the only country to have agreed with Japan to cooperate on the venture since it came into force in 2015.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-25 Argentina: Fruit producers from Entre Rios, Rio Negro, and Neuquen protest
- 2019-04-24 Danish fruit growers dealing with surpluses
- 2019-04-24 China: "Keeping cost of fruit imports low by direct investment in overseas plantations"
- 2019-04-24 "Southeast Asian market offers opportunities to Chinese fruit"
- 2019-04-23 Fiji imports $21.4 million of fresh fruit annually
- 2019-04-23 China: Average price of fruit in Shenzhen expected to rise in April
- 2019-04-15 Spain: "It didn't go well for winter fruit but stone fruit is eagerly awaited"
- 2019-04-08 Turkish cherries will soon be harvested
- 2019-04-08 Spain: Fruits in Bierzo not affected by the low temperatures
- 2019-04-05 The five most expensive fruits in the world
- 2019-04-05 Argentina's overseas fruit exports decreased by 25%
- 2019-04-04 Fresh fruit exports dropped in 2018
- 2019-04-04 The US continues to receive good volumes of Chilean fruit
- 2019-04-04 Croatian agriculture output increased in 2018
- 2019-04-04 South Africa: Government help needed for fresh fruit exports to flourish
- 2019-04-03 India: Andhra Pradesh No 1 in fruit production
- 2019-04-02 Russia proposes introduction of seasonal quotas for apple imports
- 2019-04-01 China: Average fruit prices rise for "6th consecutive month"
- 2019-03-29 Thailand: Fruit exports flourish through FTA deals
- 2019-03-29 South African fruit sector ripe for harvesting benefits of the fourth industrial revolution