- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Senior Commercial Manager
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- Freight rates will drop by 20-30% in the second half of the year
- T&G takes big step towards low carbon future with Sustainability-Linked Loan
- 2022 NZ kiwifruit harvest complete
- Maersk: No abatement in surging costs of shipping goods
- Australian almond harvest in danger as varroa mite is detected at Newcastle port
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- How a safari camp in the heart of Kenya’s Masai Mara is harvesting 200kg monthly
- A very crowded European avocado market
- "We have lost 80% of our stone fruit production this year"
- "The soil of Zimbabwe seems to be magical for blueberries”
- San Miguel sells fresh fruit operations in Peru and South Africa to Citri&Co
Polish cherry producers hit hardest by cold weather
Jan Nowakowski from Genesis Fresh said that, in terms of apple losses, it will take another five to six weeks before we know for sure.
"The current estimates are around 15-20% losses for apples, but these are early estimations. The level of damage differs per regions, where some have had more losses than others, so it will take a couple of weeks before we know for sure. We are having cold and rainy weather at the moment which could also have an impact. There is still the possibility that we will get another frost in May, so we have to wait and see." said Jan.
The apples were in the budding stage in Poland and hadn't yet blossomed, which means that they had extra protection from the cold weather compared to countries like Belgium or Holland where the apple flowers had already been blooming. Some of the buds could still see damage, which will mean less volume per hectare, but also means that the apples which survive will be larger.
"Rain and cold weather is forecast for all of this week, but after that, the temperatures are expected to rise next week, up to around 15-18 degrees, so it is looking good. We haven't had the usual frost that we get in May the last few years, which is a good thing, but we have to wait and see what the coming weeks bring. We always expect the frost in May and we have to be sure we are prepared to protect the crops. That is the issue with the frost now, we didn’t expect it, but the fact that we are in the early stages means that it won't have that much impact on production." concluded Jan.
'Despite weather obstacles in the country, we are making efforts to ensure continuity of fruit deliveries to our Clients with high quality selected by our Fruit Quality Specialist', states Jan, Genesis Fresh General manager.
'We are also able to offer volumes to new potential Clients ensuring fine deliveries this season as well.'
For more information:
Tel: +48 22 378 34 05
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-19 "Companies that are caught selling false organic apples should receive major punishments"
- 2019-07-17 Blueberry prices plummeting in Poland
- 2019-07-16 “Apples still stored in cold rooms are responsible for current low prices”
- 2019-07-15 Disease prevention in raspberry cultivation
- 2019-07-12 "Imported Polish apples popular in China"
- 2019-07-11 "Hot temperatures are causing the production of tomatoes to slow down"
- 2019-07-10 Poland: Haskap berry season only lasted for two weeks
- 2019-07-09 “Prices for soft fruit were totally unstable in the past two weeks”
- 2019-07-08 Tough situation on Polish gooseberry market
- 2019-07-05 “These extremes are causing disruptions to the blueberry season”
- 2019-07-04 “Our brand Bio Queen is now recognizable on the European markets”
- 2019-07-03 “Polish companies are competing with each other to offer the lowest price”
- 2019-07-02 Polish super fruits have their own holiday
- 2019-07-01 FreshPlaza Poland Special
- 2018-06-29 Haskap producers need to work together for promotion
- 2018-06-28 More Polish producers turn to printed foil packaging
- 2018-06-27 Polish raspberry prices under pressure
- 2018-06-26 Could exotic mushrooms be a solution to labour shortages?
- 2018-06-25 Talk of crop failure amongst Polish summer fruit growers
- 2018-06-25 Poland: Producers protest against low potato prices