- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- Moroccan farmers are growing blueberries in the Sahara
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba brings technology into agriculture
- China and New Zealand discuss cooperation on new plant varieties
- "Next week, temperatures will increase and strawberry shortage shouldn't be as bad"
- Kiwifruit among the favorite fruits in Europe during the pandemic
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Health consciousness is increasing the market for goji berries
Global goji berries market trends and drivers:
The primary driver of the goji berry market is the health benefits that goji berries provide. They are a good source of fiber and are low in calories and fat. Due to these properties, the fruits are being increasingly used in weight management and digestive supplement products. Goji berries are also considered as ideal products for people suffering from hypertension, anxiety disorders, diabetes and common ailments such as colds and fever.
The regulatory restrictions placed by the EU and North America on goji berries import and labeling are a major drawback for the market. Most of these restrictions are due to the unreliability of China’s organic certification system, wherein the use of a certain amount of pesticides and fungicides is permitted.
The other area of regulatory focus is on the labeling of products containing goji berries. In 2007, the U.K. Food Standards Agency declassified goji berries as novel foods due to the significant history of goji berry consumption prior to 1997. The agency also voiced concerns regarding the health claims usually associated with products containing goji berries as an ingredient.
Goji berries regional market segmentation
China dominates the market in terms of production, with the cultivation of these berries being the major source of revenue in several of China’s northwestern provinces. The Ningxia and Xinjiang provinces in China produce the largest quantity of goji berries. The production capacity of the berries is very limited in North America and Europe as these berries are not native to these regions.
However, with the increasing demand, many farmers in the U.S. and Canada have taken up the cultivation of goji berries. Northern California and parts of the Northwest are considered ideal places for goji berry cultivation in the U.S.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-20 Low supply and high pricing on watermelons
- 2021-01-20 Blueberries from Chile receive certification from American Heart Association
- 2021-01-20 Five-gram ‘baby watermelons’ now available
- 2021-01-20 Florida Delegation wants investigation into Mexico’s trade policies
- 2021-01-20 Price of imported fruits in Chinese market no longer "crazy"
- 2021-01-20 Chinese fruit prices rising seasonally
- 2021-01-20 Low market price stimulates Chinese apple export
- 2021-01-20 Online Cherry Institute focuses on Little Cherry Disease, pollination and marketing
- 2021-01-20 South African pome fruit growers expecting a good 2021 crop
- 2021-01-19 CIV presents new project "Category Program" for retailers
- 2021-01-19 Fresh melon with ham is elevated to the gourmet category
- 2021-01-19 "Great potential for stone and berry fruit from the Balkan countries"
- 2021-01-19 Moroccan farmers are growing blueberries in the Sahara
- 2021-01-19 Huelva raspberry producers resort to fire to avoid frost
- 2021-01-19 The destocking of pears is proceeding smoothly
- 2021-01-19 "Still a lot of pears in Belgian cold stores, low levels of apple stock"
- 2021-01-19 "Spain is one of the most important markets for Ambrosia™ apples, without a doubt"
- 2021-01-19 "Next week, temperatures will increase and strawberry shortage shouldn't be as bad"
- 2021-01-19 Japanese strawberry farm now sells local varieties online
- 2021-01-19 Chinese strawberries from Dandong will enter peak sales period in February