- Sales Coordinator Europe Division
- Senior Grower - Two Wells, Australia
- Field Service Technicians - Chile, South Africa, UK, USA, and New Zealand
- Operations Manager young plant production farm - East Africa
- International Account Manager - Export
- Head Grower (location UAE)
- Head Grower medical cannabis
- Processing & Quality Management Director - Made, The Netherlands or Sderot/Brurim, Israel
- Aankomend Int. Export Manager jonge groenteplanten
- Director of Hydroponic Production - Madrid, Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Kenyan investor dumps oil shares worth $800,000 in exchange for avocados
- Young Philippine scientist claims diabetes cure could be found in aratiles
- "The avocado sector is about to undergo radical changes"
- “The collapse of Jet Airways really caused logistical issues for us”
- Frost damage may cause up to 85% reduction in Polish apple harvest
Peruvian blueberries have advantage over Chilean
The European market is short of blueberries after Poland had less volumes than was expected, according to some figures around 35-40% less, causing the Northern Hemisphere season came to an abrupt end. Argentina is also a bit late this year, which compounds the shortage.
Big increase in production
"The quality of the Peruvian fruit looks good," explained Rob Cullum from Pacific Produce. "This will be our third year of importing blueberries and we are learning more about it each year. The first year was just a trial with only 2 containers shipped, this year we are expecting to do over 50 containers just to the UK, but the farm in Peru is producing 600+ containers which will be shipped around the world."
The global demand for blueberries is still increasing, mature markets, such as North America and the UK, are still growing. "China and Asia are new markets for us, the Chileans have been there for a while and the demand is still growing. Western Europe is also growing where the UK is probably the most advanced market," explains Rob.
The blueberry is an easy to eat, healthy product - it may be expensive in some markets just now but as consumption grows, so will production and then the price will reduce as people get more efficient at producing and shipping them. The blueberry also has the major advantage over other softfruit in that it can go via seafreight.
Although Chile is by far the biggest exporter of blueberries, Peru is growing fast and will be in the mix in the future and hopefully to be a key source.
Advantage over Chile
"Peru has the advantage, in that they can grow year round, meaning they can choose when to produce and seafrieght from very early in the Southern Hemisphere season, giving them an advantage over bigger players such as Chile and Argentina," said Rob. "Peru can also go head to head with Chile in the main season. Chile have years of experience in exporting blueberries and are very good at it, but we will catch up. Another advantage is for customers to have one point of contact for the whole season, which can last 6 months."
The first of Pacific Produce's Peruvian grapes will arrive in the UK on Saturday. Only the first 5-6 weeks of supply will go to the UK and European markets, as Namibia come will online with lower prices, driven by a huge currency advantage compared to Peru.
For more information:
+44 (0) 1865877801
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-21 China: Nanning-based company interested in importing Myanmar fruit
- 2019-06-20 New findings of Rhizopus oryzae as causal agent of soft rot on apple
- 2019-06-20 The EU imports less Ecuadorian produce
- 2019-06-19 China lowest apple volumes in 9 years
- 2019-06-18 Spain: New range of flat white nectarines
- 2019-06-18 25% drop in acreage devoted to summer fruits in Spanish province of Castellon
- 2019-06-17 Hema import Uzbeki cherries for the first time to Chinese market
- 2019-06-17 Japan to up efforts to prevent fruit variety outflows
- 2019-06-17 South Africa to increase export of fruit to Russia
- 2019-06-12 Fruit production triples in 13 years in Indian state of Haryana
- 2019-06-12 75% of fruit from the Spanish region of Extremadura is exported
- 2019-06-11 Chinese complain as fruit prices reach five-year high
- 2019-06-11 World Markets and Trade numbers for fresh apples, grapes and pears
- 2019-06-06 Chinese Ministry of Commerce: Fruit prices expected to drop
- 2019-06-05 Central China province starts direct imports of fruit
- 2019-06-05 Texas fruit season looks above average for producers
- 2019-06-04 Do US cherries lose competitive edge in China?
- 2019-06-03 China: Consumers see fruit prices soar because of weather and trade war
- 2019-06-03 UK farmers look at prisoners as work force
- 2019-05-31 Spanish fruit sector denounces abusive buying practices