- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Trellising in avocado orchards is “pushing the boundaries of production"
- The avocado industry has been going through a "golden era"
Honduras: Fyffes confirms closure of melon firm
Last week, it had been announced that the multinational may have to close because of the plans of a group of seasonal workers of organising a subsection of the Union for Workers of the Agro-Industry and Similar (STAS).
Jacobo Paz, minister of the SAG, said that the executives of Grupo Sol, as Fyffes is known in Honduras, who run two other melon firms, Suragroh and Solesa, reported the decision to no longer cultivate the 1,300 manzanas (1 manzana = 0,698896 hectares) of melons in Santa Ana de Yusguare.
He said that another reason given by the executives for the decision was the formation of the Union at Melexsa; another one was the comparative advantage of Guatemala compared to Honduras, both when it comes to production costs as with the cost of shipping from Choluteca to Puerto Cortés.
Alexánder Sánchez, head of the packer in Suragroh, said that this company gives permanent employment to about 200 people, who have showed their opposition against the STAS.
The Honduran government has been asked to intervene to prevent the closure of Melexsa, since it is the greatest source of employment in Santa Ana de Yusguare.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-18 More demand from Philippines for Australian fresh fruit
- 2019-10-18 Almería breaks Guinness record with a 600 m2 heart made of fruits and vegetables weighting 23 tons
- 2019-10-17 Romania is one of the EU’s largest producers, but its apples were hit by frost
- 2019-10-17 "Special plum Metis® completes our range and expands the season"
- 2019-10-17 Afghanistan: Businessmen want raised tariffs on Pakistani products
- 2019-10-16 Turkey to increase pomegranate exports
- 2019-10-16 New Zealand summer fruit growers will vote on industry levy
- 2019-10-16 "Class I fruit is often not good enough for Dutch retailers"
- 2019-10-16 AU: Table grapes recorded largest growth in export value in 2018/19
- 2019-10-16 Autumn 2019: New fruit trees to be planted in Kent
- 2019-10-15 Non-browning fruit grower eyes big growth
- 2019-10-14 Chile season 2019/20: 115,000 tons of fresh blueberry exports expected
- 2019-10-14 Turkish pomegranate exporters eye Far East markets
- 2019-10-11 The 11 most popular types of fruit in Germany
- 2019-10-09 "Quality and coloring of Moldavian plums is extremely good"
- 2019-10-09 Turkish producer grows heart shaped pears
- 2019-10-09 Fruit prices during China's National Day holiday week are more affordable
- 2019-10-08 Chile: Area devoted to blueberries in region of Ñuble increases by 17.3%
- 2019-10-04 UK: Flourishing fruit market generates trade in Hull
- 2019-10-03 In Colombia there could be room for more Italian fruit