- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Manager / director vegetable processing Russia
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Manager Fresh - Antwerp, Belgium
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Gambia: Call for fruit and vegetable factory investors intensifies
It is estimated that up to 10% of the value of fresh fruits and vegetables is lost in the process of marketing (Fatajo, Hydara and Jabang).
One of Africa’s main challenges particularly in The Gambia is the processing and the preservation of fruits they sell very little fresh from the harvest and tonnes goes to waste.
Economic liberalization and institutional reform has reduced and redefined the roll of the state in agricultural service provision and the challenge is ownership by emerging private sectors.
The indigenous sectors, however, are reluctant to risk investment even in standardized processing of fruits more so vegetables, due to belief that the local market and consumers could discard their produce and go for the imported processed products.
Fruit and vegetable farmers, the majority of whom are women, could however be encouraged to boost production through the provision of a mechanism that can quickly buy and adequately pay for their produce thereby encouraging them to produce more, and in turn buyers, to either process and preserve it for local and international markets.
Click here for the full story
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-17 Urgent action needed to curb farm attacks
- 2019-05-17 Talks between Labour and UK government collapse
- 2019-05-15 "We must make Brexit an opportunity"
- 2019-05-15 Andalusia's Council of Agriculture to fund half of Interfresa's foreign promotion
- 2019-05-15 Agri SA and Aerobotics partner to offer free service for all South African farmers
- 2019-05-14 Colombia and the United Kingdom will sign a new FTA
- 2019-05-13 USDA restricts PACA violators in eight states from operating in produce industry
- 2019-05-13 APHIS seeks comment on Pest Risk Analysis for import of fresh pepper from Colombia
- 2019-05-09 Competition entry deadline looming to win ‘Best Fresh Produce Marketing Promotion to Children’ award
- 2019-05-09 New trade agreement between Chile and Argentina enters into force
- 2019-05-09 El Salvador: 50% product losses at the borders
- 2019-05-08 USDA cites C&D Produce Outlet (South) Inc. in Florida for PACA violations
- 2019-05-08 APAL leads calls for national netting program
- 2019-05-07 Spanish garlic sector outraged by massive rise in insurance fees
- 2019-05-06 What parts of the world deal with water scarcity?
- 2019-05-06 PMA A-NZ members hand in Seasonal Worker Program submission
- 2019-05-06 Fairwork decision devastates horticulture community
- 2019-05-03 Wood look Display and trays donated to charity Number 7 Birkenhead
- 2019-05-03 Outperforming our competitors crucial for vegetable industry
- 2019-05-03 Americans consumed almost 12 pounds of legumes per person in 2017