- Farm Manager Abu ADhabi
- Key Account Manager Canada and USA
- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- "The fertilizer industry is at a turning point"
- From the ripe revolution of avocados to expansion into mangos
- AAA Growers' first sea freight avocados selling well in Dubai market
- Sri Lankan coconut coir exporter to double berry farms in Mexico
- China’s lockdowns force fruit exporters to divert to Southeast Asia
Top 5 -last month
Start red garlic harvest, white garlic to follow next week
"China: "New garlic yield down, calibre smaller"
“At the moment, it is estimated that there is 100,000 tons of old garlic in stock. Last year, garlic stocks reached 300,000 to 400,000 tons. One of the factors that has led to the high garlic price throughout this season is the relatively small amount of garlic in stock. Since the end of March, the white garlic has almost entirely been sold out.”
New garlic laid out to dry in the sun
“In Jinxiang, there are two garlic varieties: red garlic and white garlic. Red garlic is harvested earlier than the white garlic. Companies have already started to place orders for the red garlic crop. Harvest of the white garlic will start next week. Average market prices for new white garlic is usually around 9 yuan per kilogram. This year, prices are expected to start at 10 Yuan per kilogram or higher."
“Over the past two weeks, the purchasing price of red garlic has been flat. The new crop is gradually starting to become available. It is estimated that there will be 250,000 tons of new red garlic in stock. This early new red garlic crop is typically used for peeled garlic for the domestic market.”
“Farmers still hope to receive high prices. Eventually, when more of the new crop will become available, the price will come down. That is why many buyers are cautious to place orders at this point. The market has come to a hold. Over time, the old garlic in the warehouse will start to sprout, it cannot be kept indefinitely. After the garlic is harvested, the first step is to place the garlic outside in the sun to prevent mildew. After that, the dried garlic will be stored in cold storage facilities. Storage is usually done between the middle of June and the middle of August. The garlic is likely to start sprouting if it has not been stored by the end of August."
Packing of garlic
Solo garlic from Henan and Yunnan
"The garlic crop from Henan and Yunnan province has not been affected by the weather. The harvest in these regions starts a couple of weeks earlier and the crop has been good. The garlic coming from these provinces is different than the garlic grown in Shandong province. Generally, this crop is exported much less. The garlic variety is called Solo garlic. Only a few countries purchase this garlic variety, such as Japan. The garlic is smaller in size and much more spicy. Its price is higher than the price of red and white garlic. The garlic that is exported often passes through the Jianxiang market before it is exported abroad. Jianxiang has a long history of garlic trade, and its market and logistics infrastructure are developed and well integrated.”
“We have received orders already from Brazil and other South American markets. We have stable clients in over thirty countries. We keep our clients informed about price developments on the Chinese market, so they can decide when is the right moment to place an order. Each year, we export around 250 to 300 containers. Some clients, such as Chinese supermarkets in Europe, Australia and the US, need garlic every day. These companies will continue to place orders, even though the price has gone up. Other clients have less regular needs, and can decide to wait a couple of weeks before they place a new order.”
“We export red garlic to Africa. To Australia, Europe and North America we mainly export white garlic. White garlic is different to red garlic; its appearance is unblemished and its flavour is different. Red garlic is more spicy and has a stronger flavour. Companies are now waiting to place an order. If the price of the garlic is too high, perhaps part of China’s competitiveness is lost. This could be partly offset by growing demand from the domestic market.”
For more information:
Jinxiang Lian Yi Trading Company
Phone(U.S.): + 1-347-348-2592
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-23 Potato grower/shipper releases two new micro-ready trays
- 2022-05-23 How's the French potato market?
- 2022-05-23 "The onion season's second half should have a quota"
- 2022-05-23 'In the ware potato range, deliveries from Italy and Cyprus increased'
- 2022-05-23 South Africa has lots of potatoes, but there can be quality issues
- 2022-05-23 Fingal spuds to be celebrated at the World Potato Congress
- 2022-05-23 Cyprus: Potato growers will take action if state does not offer support
- 2022-05-20 Midway through a steady onion season
- 2022-05-20 U.S. potato exports show continued signs of recovery
- 2022-05-20 New potato processing facility coming to Alberta
- 2022-05-20 “Cultivated sweet potato areas will decrease significantly this year, about 40%”
- 2022-05-20 "Potato growers won’t be able to sustain this for another year and businesses will close in a big way"
- 2022-05-20 "We are starting the Spanish new potato season with high demand and good prices due to the lower supply in Murcia"
- 2022-05-20 “Export has been a bit of disaster due to the lack of equipment"
- 2022-05-20 50,000 Kenyan potato growers partner with Agrico PSA
- 2022-05-20 Banana paper could protect East African potatoes from potato cyst nematodes
- 2022-05-20 Mystery around Western Australian onions finally solved
- 2022-05-19 Onion markets see regionalization
- 2022-05-19 "Imperial Valley experienced some heat recently so we are trying to get onions out the door as quickly as possible”
- 2022-05-19 Dry situation in much of Northern Europe leads to concerns about early potato crop