- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Manager / director vegetable processing Russia
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Manager Fresh - Antwerp, Belgium
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US apple imports to India to drop by 50%
Last year, India imported 5.5 million boxes, of 20 kg each, of Washington apples and this year, the figure will be in the region of 2.7 million boxes, said Todd Fryhover, president of the Washington Apple Commission.
He also attributed the decline to high exchange rate and denial of entry through Indian ports for four months.
“The current season is challenging for us due to low yield. We are not exporting as much as we did last year. We are in India to build long-term relationships and achieve larger volumes.” said Fryhover.
The U.S produced 2.8 billion kg of Washington apples during August 2015-July 2016 and is expected to end the current season with 2.3 billion kg. About two-thirds are consumed locally and the rest exported to over 60 countries, including India.
Mexico imports 15 million boxes of apples per year, followed by Canada with seven million.
Mr. Fryhover has been in India for the last two weeks, visiting about 60 traders and importers in different cities to help explain the low yield.
"India ranks among the top five importing countries. Last year, it was ranked third and this year it will go to the fourth place. We hope the ranking will improve during the next season,” he said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-20 Chinese statistics bureau says high fruit prices will not last
- 2019-05-20 Polish fruit growers want an end to Russian fruit embargo
- 2019-05-20 China: Consumers shocked by 78 percent fruit price hike
- 2019-05-17 Summerfruit NZ has big growth plans
- 2019-05-15 Australian researchers trying to fix ugly fruit
- 2019-05-08 Argentinian fruit exports fall to alarming levels
- 2019-05-06 China: Fruit imports exceed exports for the first time
- 2019-05-06 Crisis of fruit sector in Spanish region of Aragon
- 2019-05-03 German apples reach the Taiwanese market for the first time
- 2019-04-30 Israel: Cold weather before Pesach hurt summer fruits
- 2019-04-29 India: Fruit Box & Co delivers fresh fruit to your doorstep
- 2019-04-25 Argentina: Fruit producers from Entre Rios, Rio Negro, and Neuquen protest
- 2019-04-24 Danish fruit growers dealing with surpluses
- 2019-04-24 China: "Keeping cost of fruit imports low by direct investment in overseas plantations"
- 2019-04-24 "Southeast Asian market offers opportunities to Chinese fruit"
- 2019-04-23 China: Average price of fruit in Shenzhen expected to rise in April
- 2019-04-23 Fiji imports $21.4 million of fresh fruit annually
- 2019-04-15 Spain: "It didn't go well for winter fruit but stone fruit is eagerly awaited"
- 2019-04-08 Turkish cherries will soon be harvested
- 2019-04-08 Spain: Fruits in Bierzo not affected by the low temperatures