New export possibilities for white asparagus

"Peru: "This year there will be fewer asparagus, but higher demand"

"This year, there will be a lower supply of asparagus, and we believe we will see an increase in demand which we expect to be able to cover. While we produce all year round, with high and low peaks, the El Niño phenomenon has taken a toll on our harvest volume, with a significant decline in the asparagus production. Mexico, as the main competitor, could take advantage, but this is a global phenomenon, so that they too will be affected," affirms Víctor Pat, representative of Compositan Alto, in Peru.



Peru exports more than 25 million boxes of green asparagus per year. 70% of the shipments are intended for the United States and the remaining 30% goes to Europe. The domestic market is not significant, so over 90% of the production is exported. "Asparagus continues to be a key export product for Peru. It remains a profitable product, and given the instability of the domestic market, exports give us a great alternative," reiterates Pat.



Green asparagus continues to be the most harvested in Peru, since it is the most consumed and demand is on the rise, but it is worth noting that white asparagus is achieving a steady growth and demand in the European market is expected to increase. "In recent years, the global economy has contracted, but the product is demanded because of its qualities, so we believe that, with the higher production of white asparagus, we'll be able to increase our share in the international markets," concludes the spokesperson of the Peruvian company.


For more information:
Victor Pat
Asociación Agrícola Compositan Alto
T: + 51 946594533 

Publication date:


Print   

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber