- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- Moroccan farmers are growing blueberries in the Sahara
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba brings technology into agriculture
- China and New Zealand discuss cooperation on new plant varieties
- "Next week, temperatures will increase and strawberry shortage shouldn't be as bad"
- Kiwifruit among the favorite fruits in Europe during the pandemic
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Outlook on China blueberry cultivation
China: Strong blueberry output, rising competition
The first blueberry seeds were imported into China in 1983 coming from the US. Commercial blueberry cultivation took off in China in 2000. Between 2001 and 2007, the industry started to receive support from local governments and university research centres that launched large schale production bases. As a result, blueberry acreage increased from 24 hectares to 1,414 hectares, reaching an estimated production of 390 tons. Between 2008 and 2015, domestic production covered 31,200 hectares and total production is estimated at 43,250 tons.
Cultivation mainly takes places in Shandong province, Guizhou and Liaoning. Shandong is with 6,000 hectares and 15,000 tons annual production the largest in terms of output. Recently, production in Yunnan and Sichuan province has taken off. Investments in solar greenhouses make cultivation during winter months possible. The greenhouse harvest period continues from the end of March until the middle of May. Open ground harvesting is done between June and August.
Competition and import
Competition has increased. Next to Joyvio, companies like Jiangsu, Qingdao Blue Rose Fruit, Bai Rui Guizhou Agricultural Development and Noble Dalian Modern Agricultural Science and Technology have recently all launched own, officially registered, blueberry varieties and brands. Currently, there are over a hundred brands in China, including local ones such as 'Dandong blueberries”.
Prices have taken a hit in recent years. Compared to 2011, blueberry prices have come down in the 2014-15 season by more than 50%, with a 30% decrease after July this year. There is a separate market for premium products: 10% of the fruit is sold at prices 30-50% higher than the other 90%.
Import of blueberries is increasing. From the start of 2012, Chile launched its blueberry export to China. From 2011-2012 200 tons reached China. This shot up to 4,000 tons for the 2014-2015 season. In 2015 Canada received permission to enter the Chinese market. Canada can supply the market from late September until October, which conveniently fills a gap in local production.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-20 Low supply and high pricing on watermelons
- 2021-01-20 Blueberries from Chile receive certification from American Heart Association
- 2021-01-20 Five-gram ‘baby watermelons’ now available
- 2021-01-20 Florida Delegation wants investigation into Mexico’s trade policies
- 2021-01-20 Price of imported fruits in Chinese market no longer "crazy"
- 2021-01-20 Chinese fruit prices rising seasonally
- 2021-01-20 Low market price stimulates Chinese apple export
- 2021-01-20 Online Cherry Institute focuses on Little Cherry Disease, pollination and marketing
- 2021-01-20 South African pome fruit growers expecting a good 2021 crop
- 2021-01-19 CIV presents new project "Category Program" for retailers
- 2021-01-19 Fresh melon with ham is elevated to the gourmet category
- 2021-01-19 "Great potential for stone and berry fruit from the Balkan countries"
- 2021-01-19 Moroccan farmers are growing blueberries in the Sahara
- 2021-01-19 Huelva raspberry producers resort to fire to avoid frost
- 2021-01-19 The destocking of pears is proceeding smoothly
- 2021-01-19 "Still a lot of pears in Belgian cold stores, low levels of apple stock"
- 2021-01-19 "Spain is one of the most important markets for Ambrosia™ apples, without a doubt"
- 2021-01-19 "Next week, temperatures will increase and strawberry shortage shouldn't be as bad"
- 2021-01-19 Japanese strawberry farm now sells local varieties online
- 2021-01-19 Chinese strawberries from Dandong will enter peak sales period in February