- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Sales Development Executive - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Rwanda: Packaging, certification challenge for exporters
Speaking at the second public and private dialogue on market access, in Kigali, yesterday, the Minister for Trade and Industry, Francois Kanimba, said the government is committed to addressing challenges impeding exportation to reduce the country's trade deficit.
The dialogue was organised by the Ministry of Trade and Industry in collaboration with International Trade Centre (ITC). Kanimba said the ministry has set up a team to follow up on the problem of packaging materials and suggest a way forward.
"We have noticed that the big challenge facing SMEs is packaging, yet packaging sells a product at over 50 per cent. You may have a good product but when it is packed poorly, its sale is hard. We want to have efficient packaging materials produced locally in the near future," he said.
Christine Murebwayire, the chairperson of agriculture and livestock chamber at the Private Sector Federation, said product certification is another challenge faced especially by the agri-livestock exporters.
"We recently went to import packaging materials from Kenya but came back empty handed because we needed a sample as required by our Dubai customers but a Kenyan firm declined to manufacture the small quantity. We wish to have locally produced standard packaging materials," she said.
Kanimba said fruits and vegetables are fetching more than US$60 million every year while the target is $140 million by 2018.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-04 Packaging with 'zero waste' and 'zero impact' presented
- 2019-12-03 Chinese language labels mandatory for export food items
- 2019-12-03 "In the future fresh produce will have just as little plastic as 50 years ago"
- 2019-12-02 Dutch company adds bag with handle to net window bag range
- 2019-12-02 "At a time when other materials are losing ground wood maintains its noble humility"
- 2019-11-28 "Holiday packaging is increasing in popularity"
- 2019-11-28 "Everybody's seen our boxes, only a few are aware of it."
- 2019-11-28 How to finally replace the plastic bag
- 2019-11-28 UK: Supermarkets’ single-use plastic waste rises to nearly 1 mln tons a year
- 2019-11-27 UK: 82% of consumers demand drastically less plastic-usage
- 2019-11-27 "Consumer interest in paper shows steady growth"
- 2019-11-27 "Many asparagus growers are building up a second mainstay by growing berries"
- 2019-11-26 Washington dry onion producer extends use of IFCO RPCs through 2020
- 2019-11-26 "For now, some cardboard and plastic formats will have to coexist"
- 2019-11-22 Chilean scientists develop a bio-paper that reduces the deterioration of fruits in exports
- 2019-11-22 Coop Sweden will introduce paper bags for fruit and vegetables
- 2019-11-20 "Mustang Paper Trays are ideal for a marketing-oriented appearance"
- 2019-11-18 Denmark: Lidl Good Luck Bags against food waste
- 2019-11-15 "Fruit and vegetable growers moving away from wooden crates to clean, lightweight and durable plastic crates"
- 2019-11-15 Grape punnet redesigned with less plastic, same strength