- Sales/Marketing Professional - Europe
- Looking for an opportunity in India
- Procurement & Sales Manager, Potato Division - Lobinstown, Co. Meath, Ireland
- European regional agent and new sales manager
- Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
- Teeltspecialist (Proeftuin & Veredeling) - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- Farm Manager - Riana, Tasmania, Australia
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Israeli fig shippers enjoy open European market
“Demand is very good right now,” said Niva Ben Zion of Avniv. “It's not until the end of December when Argentina kicks in, and then South Africa comes in slowly after that. But we're almost all by ourselves at this time of year.” There's also product coming from Brazil, but Niva explained that many retailers, especially in Germany, prefer Israeli figs because many of the figs coming from Brazil are coated in a powder that retailers and customers find unpleasant.
“The Brazilian figs are covered in a powder to prevent decay, but people are not so happy about it,” said Niva. “More supermarkets demand that the fruit be without the powder because the powder affects the flavor.”
The biggest variety currently available from Israel is the Autumn Honey. It's a seasonal variety that is prevalent from October through December. Supplies from Israel will be available through January, and then there's a break before supplies spring up from May through August. There's then a final break before the season starts back up in October.
“It's a long season with just a few intermissions,” said Niva. “This is supposed to be a good year, and if we don't have any problems with the weather, then we'll have a good year in terms of yields.”
For more information:
Niva Ben Zion
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-04-07 When it comes to kiwi fruit and frosts, it is essential to assess the quality of the pollen
- 2020-04-07 Import relaxations not enough to secure Indonesian garlic supply
- 2020-04-07 "We look forward to serving all the kumquat and limequat orders we are receiving"
- 2020-04-07 "The price of Malaysian durian export to China is likely to rise even further"
- 2020-04-07 "Price of Chinese loquat from Sichuan is high because the production volume declined"
- 2020-04-07 Iran kiwifruit exports are at $80 million plus
- 2020-04-06 Greece and Covid-19 are making it more difficult for the Italian kiwi fruit
- 2020-04-06 Fresh bok choy from Shandong entered the Chinese market in large volumes
- 2020-04-06 "Malaysian durian processing factories temporarily halt operations"
- 2020-04-06 South Africa: Prickly pears suddenly a hot item
- 2020-04-03 Jingold yellow kiwi: harvest about to start in Chile
- 2020-04-03 Guardiola medlar variety recognized as community plant variety
- 2020-04-03 " Hainan dragon fruit production season delayed, but peak retail season has now arrived"
- 2020-04-03 “Demand for kiwis is huge from all over the world”
- 2020-04-03 Indonesian president promises garlic prices will go down next week
- 2020-04-02 "Chinese durian market suffers from temporary pause in Malaysian durian production"
- 2020-04-02 China: Importing first batch of New Zealand kiwifruit in 2020
- 2020-04-02 Kiwifruit harvest going well in Gisbourne
- 2020-04-01 California kiwifruit season extends into April
- 2020-03-31 Avo retail trade very good; wholesale markets devastated by restaurant closures