- Processing & Quality Management Director - Made, The Netherlands or Sderot/Brurim, Israel
- Aankomend Int. Export Manager jonge groenteplanten
- Director of Hydroponic Production - Madrid, Spain
- Non-Executive Directors
- Horticultural Sales Manager - Fruit Industry, Europe
- Sales Representative - New South Wales (Australia)
- Business Development Coordinator - New Zealand
- Greenhouse Production Manager - Heho (Shan State) Myanmar
- Account Manager Benelux
- Inkoop Specialist AGF - Bleiswijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Tony Cholwill, Iberveg
UK short supply of speciality tomatoes
Tony Cholwill from Iberveg said that speciality tomatoes in particular have been hard hit by the extreme temperatures and fluctuations in weather conditions. In Almeria one grower alone has lost around 30Ha. "Wholesale prices have risen drastically and a great deal of packers for the retailers have been affected as a result. The retailers agree the price at the start of the season, fixed prices. Many retailers are conscious of the situation and can relax either specifications slightly or their intended promotional activity in order to ease the situation, afterall Cherry Tomatoes are growing in demand year on year let alone Baby Plum and Cherry Vine types."
Despite the issues however Cholwill, explains that Iberveg have successfully fulfilled all of their obligations and have supplied the programmes which are in place 100%.
"The reason for this is that we have cemented deals with our own growers which have been built up over the past few years. Its all about give and take. We will take product when its surplus to requirements and honour any agreement, but at the same time expect the same from our growers when the coin flips. The benefits are for both parties and this alone strengthens our partnerships going forward," said Cholwill.
He goes on to say that one very important factor is that Iberveg have a base in Almeria, Spain and are constantly monitoring the situation 24/7. Being on site is key according to Cholwill, as you become aware of potential issues well in advance of them hitting and can react and advise accordingly.
"We have, where possible tried to fill in on ad-hoc orders from non programmed/new customers and to date have supplied where possible, this IS all down to the relationships and future developments and trust with independent growers we have," explains Cholwill.
He expects the present situation to last for another 3-4 weeks until the new Spanish crop and the Moroccan supply comes fully online.
The UK and Dutch supply has also been low, this is mainly due on the other hand, to low temperatures and lack of light levels throughout the summer, there was a spike of hot weather in July when the supply peaked. The UK does tend to rely heavily on Spain, Morocco and Italy predominantly for the cherry tomatoes, baby plum and other speciality varieties.
Follow us on Twitter @iberveg
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-17 Gapping coming on California colored peppers
- 2019-06-17 Guatemala snap pea supplies strained
- 2019-06-17 Vegetables are noticeably more expensive
- 2019-06-17 Indonesia's Cabya - The Javanese long pepper
- 2019-06-17 China: Celery enters market in large volumes, price falls below 1 yuan
- 2019-06-17 China: Garlic prices still rising, but future rates are difficult to predict
- 2019-06-17 "The future of Spanish garlic is in our hands"
- 2019-06-17 "The key is not to compete, but to promote habits"
- 2019-06-17 Dutch garlic season begins
- 2019-06-17 Cauliflowers from Val Venosta now available
- 2019-06-17 Price of fresh Chinese ginger continues to rise, trade remains vigorous
- 2019-06-14 Pepper cultivation is gaining ground in the Spanish Region of Murcia
- 2019-06-14 China: “Garlic prices continue to rise"
- 2019-06-14 Hot temperatures herald end of Coachella eggplant season
- 2019-06-14 Poland discovers asparagus
- 2019-06-14 About 4,500 tons of cucumbers to be harvested until August
- 2019-06-14 "Price of fresh Chinese ginger continues to climb"
- 2019-06-14 Price of Chinese vegetables comes down
- 2019-06-14 Chinese pepper market experiences sudden fluctuations
- 2019-06-14 Price of Chinese garlic in Jinxiang Market continues to rise