- Office and Sales Administrator - Rotterdam
- Marketing and Administration Assistant - Sunraysia region, Mildura Victoria, Australia
- Grower (Hemp/Tomatoes/Cukes) - Monahans (Texas) USA
- Innovation Director - De Lier, Netherlands
- Sales Representatives Horticultural Greenhouses - Mexico
- Account Manager Fleuristes France - Hollande du Nord
- Account Manager Benelux Team - Midden-Nederland
- Assistant Breeder - Moerstraten, Netherlands
- Inkoper retail - Aalsmeer
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Heavy weather to hit Alicante, Valencia en Murcia
- Will the harvest forecasts change after the storms in Spain?
- Australian farmer convicted of importing garlic illegally
- "Citrus from South Africa selling better than grapes at online wholesale website"
- T&G sells its 5.8 ha Mt Wellington site in preparation for company growth
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL BLUEBERRY MARKET
- Will Asia Fruit Logistica take place in September? Trade show organization offers participants option in December
- South Africa: Port activities halted again due to violence against truckers
- Avocado market expected to tighten in coming weeks
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL BERRY MARKET
Australians going bananas for avocados
Source: ABS, HAL, AAL, Avolution.
Ahead of Australia was of course Mexico – the home of guacamole – which consumes 9 kilograms per person a year.
At 3.4 kilos a year, Australians also eat more of the “rich man’s butter” than their US counterparts who consume 2 kilograms a person a year.
Former head of Avocados Australia and a past president of the International Avocado Society, Antony Allen is now the CEO of avocado marketing company Avolution which now supplies about 20% of Australia’s avocados. You could say he is an all round avocado advocate.
Allen says with increased consumption, avocado prices are also strong.
“A lot of it is demand building. It’s at a base level rather than a transaction level as retailers do. Consumption building is a longer term investment,” he told Fresh Plaza.
“With avocados there’s been generous marketing for the last 20-25 years and there’s always been marketing happening to hit the right note. As long as growers have had some small successes along the way they’ve kept going. You have to be future focused.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-09-13 Fire crystal persimmons popular with consumers in China
- 2019-09-13 Mexican mangoes from Sonora have good performance and quality
- 2019-09-13 Ghana estimates: $2.8bn revenue from coconut industry
- 2019-09-13 Giant avocados are coming to Ireland
- 2019-09-12 Persimmon volumes drop by 30% compared to last year
- 2019-09-12 "Spain must conform to the Asian criteria"
- 2019-09-12 Proposal to request a PGI for Andalusian subtropical crops
- 2019-09-12 US mango imports show a steady increase year over year
- 2019-09-11 Two men fined $10,000 each for stealing avocados
- 2019-09-11 Malaysia's largest solar farm opens in Kedah
- 2019-09-11 Mangosteen from Thailand clears Taiwan import hurdles
- 2019-09-11 More Chilean Hass avocados reaching EU
- 2019-09-11 Cambodian Ministry: Mangoes next in line for China export
- 2019-09-10 "Fresh and pre-cut durian enjoys a steadily growing demand"
- 2019-09-10 Turks help Guinean farmers boost pineapple production
- 2019-09-10 Indonesia: Fruit irradiation for shelf life extension
- 2019-09-10 Vietnamese Longan Day held in Melbourne
- 2019-09-10 KFC China now has durian chicken nuggets on the menu
- 2019-09-09 “The Osteen mango from Spain more and more popular on the French market”
- 2019-09-09 Keitt mango harvest in the Mexican state of Sonora begins