- Product Manager, Horticulture - De Lier, the Netherlands
- Salesperson - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Business Development Manager - Madrid, Spain
- Commercial Manager - Amsterdam / Europe
- Regional Sales Representative/Manager - Southwest Region (USA)
- Sales Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
India: Closure of Bangladesh market worries mango growers
West Bengal's Malda, Murshidabad and Nadia, all these three districts put together is considered as the largest mango producing belt in eastern India. "Against average annual yield of 6 to 7 lakh metric ton(MT), the figure may cross 10 lakh MT this year making it a record for last one decade," said S Misra, President, Malda Mango Merchants Association. "But, lack of available consumption avenue of this heavy yield is making us worried," he added.
According to a case study prepared by CUTS Centre for International Trade, Economics & Environment, Bangladesh consumes almost 60 percent of the mango produced in Malda. Few varieties of that always remain in high demand in Bangladesh. "But this option is almost closed now. There is a heavy import duty of BDT 36/kg (Eqv. Around INR 29/kg) on import of mango from India. This pushes up the final cost of Indian mango to an unacceptable level in Bangladesh market. Naturally, no Bangladesh importer is interested to buy from us," said U Saha, Secretary, West Bengal Exporters Coordination committee.
But, "WB produces around 5% of total Indian mango yield which is over 50% of global production. Against this, India enjoys only 1% of global mango export market. Streamlined and smooth export to Bangladesh can significantly brighten this picture," said market experts.
While talking to ET on this, senior officials from Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (Apeda) said, "The issue deserves a deep initiative. West Bengal State Government may approach Delhi to take up the issue with Bangladesh at diplomatic level to find out some direction that can ensure benefits for Indian and Bangladesh both."
However, "Without any export to Bangladesh, we are bound to have over 4 lakh ton surplus after local consumption. Without any major organized processing facility nearby, the local unorganized processing sector alone can consume maximum 15% of that. We do not yet know how to save the remaining volume," said Mr. Misra.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-01-27 Mexico: Jalisco avocado exports increased 30% in 2019
- 2020-01-27 Peru readjusts its forecast for this campaign's fresh mango exports
- 2020-01-27 Ghana: Mango and citrus farmers appeal to government for intervention
- 2020-01-27 Chile and Peru vie for largest exports of Hass to EU
- 2020-01-27 Ecuador as a strategic partner at Fruit Logistica 2020
- 2020-01-27 First batch of Taiwanese guavas land in US
- 2020-01-27 Sri Lanka: New mango variety discovered
- 2020-01-27 Vijayapura pomegranates for overseas markets
- 2020-01-27 Pineapple throwing takes centre stage on Australia Day as shoppers urged to buy local
- 2020-01-27 Kenyan mangoes: Boost production & food safety to expand export market share
- 2020-01-27 "Paraguay has the potential to be a world leader in fruit production"
- 2020-01-24 New Avocado Category Market Development Tool released
- 2020-01-24 Naturgut Bio-Helden: Avocados from Spain instead of overseas
- 2020-01-24 Mexican avocado prices have multiplied by almost 2,000 in the last 40 years
- 2020-01-23 Piura is Peru's main producer of Kent mango
- 2020-01-23 Tarat CPPC boosts income for Malaysian growers
- 2020-01-23 Arrival of alphonso mangoes impacted by unexpected weather
- 2020-01-23 Organto adds Moroccan grower to avocado supply chain
- 2020-01-23 Ghana: Coconut Federation to boost export
- 2020-01-22 South Korea: Anmyeon Island Farm extends tropical fruit cultivation