- Plant Production Operator
- Plant Manager
- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Colombian avocados want spot in U.S. market
U.S. consumer demand for the green, buttery vegetable is spiking. And Colombia — armed with a free-trade agreement with the United States — is hoping to be the next big player in America’s guacamole bowl.
They’re still not contenders, as they need to jump through phytosanitary and regulatory hoops to enter the market. But by most accounts, that day will come within the next 24 months or so.
Colombia exports 80 different agricultural products to the United States, said Colombia’s Minister of Agriculture Aurelio Iragorri.
U.S. demand for avocados has increased 174 percent in the past 14 years as consumers have been won over by the green-pod’s health benefits and versatility in the kitchen. But as that one-minute spot suggests (it may have cost as much as $9 million in air-time alone, according to trade journals), the competition is fierce.
Mexico supplied 1.3 billion pounds of avocados to the United States in 2014. That was followed by California with 282 million pounds, Peru with 144 million pounds and Chile with 89 million pounds, according to the U.S.-based Hass Avocado Board. And it’s in that bottom tier that Colombia sees its opportunity.
“Our geography and proximity would give us an advantage over Chile and Peru,” said Andrés Eduardo Mejía, the executive director of CORPOHASS, the association of Colombia’s avocado producers and exporters. “The U.S. is seeing per-capita consumption expand and promotional efforts are exploding.”...
Click here to continue reading at miamiherald.com.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-26 Philippines: Chinese commit to P7.7 billon grant
- 2019-04-26 Myanmar attempting to raise fruit exports to China
- 2019-04-26 Indonesia & China ink trade protocol for mangosteen exports
- 2019-04-26 Kenyan avocados get green light for Chinese market
- 2019-04-26 Fruit Research Station in Sangareddy: Growing 470 varieties of mangoes
- 2019-04-26 India: Telangana mangoes exported to Europe
- 2019-04-25 Future and challenges for tropical fruits in Spain
- 2019-04-25 California Avocado Commission using its tools to promote avocado season
- 2019-04-25 National Mango Board’s frozen mango amendment referendum
- 2019-04-25 First shipment of Jamaican mangoes for US to be delivered in May
- 2019-04-25 New Zealand's Zeijoa brand taking the world by storm
- 2019-04-25 Mangoes make an early splash in regions of India
- 2019-04-24 Vietnam: Prices drops cause farmers to dump pineapples
- 2019-04-24 India: Rare pest attacks mango crop in Lucknow
- 2019-04-24 Season begins for the Dibra Mango from West Africa
- 2019-04-24 Oaxaca is Mexico's second biggest producer of pineapples
- 2019-04-24 Indian pilot project SERP mobilises nearly 3,000 women mango producers
- 2019-04-24 Orange and avocado theft on campus Cal Poly
- 2019-04-23 Growing demand for Kaya Paya papaya from Guatemala
- 2019-04-23 China: "Price of pineapples from Hainan shows rising trend"