- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Tanzania: Less profit due to poor packaging
A research conducted by the Small Industries Development Organization (SIDO) has revealed that over 50 percent of the packaging carried out by the Small and Medium Enterpreneurs (SMEs) in the country does not match the international standard, hence lowering the internal market value of the products and throwing them away from the world market.
SIDO’s Director of Training and Extension Services Pius Wenga said the research has revealed that the developing countries waste 20-50 percent of their food products due to poor or lack of packaging materials, while Europeans lose hardly 3 percent of their food products due to proper packaging, handling, transportation, containment and storage of their food products.
He said his organization would partner with the International Trade Centre (ITC) to provide SMEs with proper packaging gears from the Packaging Services Centre allocated at SIDO Industrial Estate along Nyerere road, Vingunguti area in Dar Es salaam.
“They have to think of packaging before they embark into marketing their products because packaging talks volumes about the quality of the product, otherwise they are bound to lose a lot of money,” Wenga was echoed by Fre’derine Derlot Copy, a ITC’s Programme Officer who was in Tanzania last week to meet juice and food processors and the local mango and spice farmers.
He also urged SIDO trainers to impart packaging knowledge into Tanzania’s hinterlands to win a place in international trades.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-23 Biodegradable and compostable packaging for organic grapes will soon be launched
- 2020-07-21 Developments in the sustainable packaging industry
- 2020-07-21 Fresh Del Monte to use stickers highlighting its sustainability efforts
- 2020-07-17 "Our compostable nets made of local beech wood are the packaging of the future"
- 2020-07-14 North Bay Produce introduces new fresh produce packaging
- 2020-07-08 NEW: One Machine – Multiple Band Widths
- 2020-07-08 Plastic waste soars in Scotland amidst fears for unpackaged food
- 2020-07-07 "Our label uses only oxygen and light to sterilize the handles of shopping carts"
- 2020-07-07 eCorrugated partners up with De Jong Packaging
- 2020-07-06 Sealable, recyclable, repulpable specialty papers
- 2020-07-06 Waste reduction and process optimization by labeling fruit and vegetables individually
- 2020-07-03 Innovative solution to the problem of 'sweaty kiwifruit'
- 2020-07-01 Making banana leaf packaging and pineapple powder
- 2020-07-01 Closer customer relationships, but shipping remains a challenge
- 2020-07-01 New tray positioning system launched
- 2020-07-01 Zippmatic innovates packaging
- 2020-07-01 New plastic-free packaging for salads developed
- 2020-06-30 “We bring sustainable European packaging trends to North America”
- 2020-06-26 "Printing any label volumes"
- 2020-06-25 Packaging trends prior to, during, and after the pandemic