- Packing Supervisor
- International Account Manager
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- El Niño will probably add to misery of SA farmers
- Avocado consumption reduces total cholesterol and Ldl C
- Criminal ‘food sellers’ are posing problems in South Africa
- "I am destroying my celery because they humiliate us offering just a few cents"
- Pomegranate grower gets off expensive chemical carousel
UK: 5.71 million tonnes potato production in 2014
Planted area is estimated at 121,100 ha, down 1.1% on last year. This figure revises the provisional end-August area estimate of 121,900 ha. The area update has been made following the inclusion of additional data, since the end-August estimate, which was based on 85% of registered area.
Seasonal conditions across the major potato growing regions of GB were largely fine and conducive to strong crop growth and high yield potential. Above-average spring temperatures were followed by generally fine and settled summer weather. Unsettled weather in late summer led to only a few short interruptions, but as autumn approached, drier, warmer conditions dominated. The considerable dry, warm periods necessitated the use of widespread irrigation where available and slowed some harvesting activities.
The Potato Council will update the estimate for GB potato production in early 2015.
For more information:
Tel: +44 2476 478 840
1 Total Production is the total harvested volume of the GB crop measured in metric tonnes. It excludes field leavings and material graded out prior to storage or sale.
2 Potato yields are net of crop losses (areas that cannot be harvested) and on-farm grading waste. Yields are estimated from the Grower Panel, which is a stratified random sample of 909 sample crops from 518 growers. For this report, data from a sub-sample of 413 crops was available. The estimate for
net yield has confidence limits of ± 2.55%. Confidence limits give the range around the sample mean within which there is a 95% probability that the true mean lies.
3 The area estimate of 121,100 ha includes all potato plantings in GB and is made up of both Potato Council registered and unregistered area. It is based on a regression sample of 98% of registered growers. The area estimate has confidence limits of ± 0.25%.
4 Totals may not calculate precisely due to rounding factors.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-30 Onions at Rs320 per kilo in Karachi due to supply shortage
- 2023-01-30 Only 1,900 tons of imported onions arrived in Philippines last week
- 2023-01-30 New potato variety with high genetic quality for Peruvian producers
- 2023-01-30 After achieving a record production in 2021, the world's potato production decreased by 6% in 2022
- 2023-01-30 Onion prices in Tajikistan soared
- 2023-01-27 Building a secure and sustainable future for our industry
- 2023-01-27 Governments of Canada and Manitoba invest nearly $100,000 to upgrade horticulture storage facility
- 2023-01-27 Filipino president Marcos wants meeting to discuss high prices of imported onions
- 2023-01-27 'UK potato growers are underestimating their own industry’
- 2023-01-26 Export of Ukrainian potatoes to the EU is possible, but not soon
- 2023-01-26 "Our programmed quality onions have gained us a foothold at European retail suppliers "
- 2023-01-26 The Princesa Amandine potato was awarded the 2023 Flavor of the Year award for the second consecutive year in Spain
- 2023-01-26 "Onions in 5-kg bags have become 100 percent more expensive"
- 2023-01-26 International potato industry discusses future issues
- 2023-01-26 France: more transparency for consumers by integrating blockchain on condiments
- 2023-01-26 'Onion demand is slightly off this week, but we’re staying busy'
- 2023-01-26 Philippines: Two universities eye vertical farms 'to solve onion scarcity'
- 2023-01-26 Irish potatoes: Sales and consumption typical for this time of year
- 2023-01-25 Potato Storage Insight addresses rising potato storage costs
- 2023-01-25 Heavy rains destroy pearl onion crop in Tamil Nadu