- Business Development Manager - Italy
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Key accounter - BNL, Germany, France, UK
- General Manager | Fresh Produce | Holland
- Blueberry Farm Manager - Abbotsleigh, Australia
- Greenhouse Technician UNH, Durham, NH, USA
- Senior Grower - Two Wells, Australia
- Field Service Technicians - Chile, South Africa, UK, USA, and New Zealand
- Operations Manager young plant production farm - East Africa
- International Account Manager - Export
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Nigeria imports $997million USD fruit juice annually
While presenting a paper on Tuesday at a workshop in Kaduna, Ibrahim said importation of concentrates was adversely affecting the development of local fruits cultivation for juice processing.
According to him, the industry’s continued dependence on massive importation of concentrates is not healthy for the nation’s economy.
“The government policy, which allows the importation of fruits juice concentrates, is intended to be a temporary measure for nurturing and protecting the local fruits juice industry. Nigeria alone consumes about 50 per cent of the fruit juice sold in Africa.”
He identified the key fruit juice concentrate pre-mixes being imported to include orange, pineapple, mixed fruits, apple, grape and mango.
According to him, suppliers of these products are South Africa, European Union and South America.
Prior to the imposition of high tariffs, 80 percent of Nigeria’s demand for fruit juice was filled by imports.
A report last year claimed that a daily production of 2000 litres could give manufacturers an annual profit margin of N15 million.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-26 Vegetable ice creams conquer Dutch retail
- 2019-06-24 Holy Moly’s 100% Pure Smashed Avocado
- 2019-06-21 The Spanish juice industry is threatened by Mercosur
- 2019-06-17 "We have managed to extend the shelf life of cut fruit to fifteen days"
- 2019-06-14 Natura Buona healthy juices
- 2019-06-13 “Exciting times on the free market”
- 2019-06-10 Unica Group prepares record-breaking gazpacho
- 2019-06-07 New value-added Brussels sprouts product available
- 2019-06-06 Bonnysa goes international with its fresh guacamole
- 2019-06-03 Dehydrated fruit consolidates as the ideal healthy snack in Spain
- 2019-06-03 Morocco one of the main canned food suppliers to the United States
- 2019-05-31 T.B.Fruit begins construction of fruit processing plant in Poland
- 2019-05-29 New seasoning mixes launched for summer
- 2019-05-28 Bonnysa at PLMA with fresh gazpacho in Spainnovation
- 2019-05-28 Machhiwara soon to have vegetable processing industry
- 2019-05-28 Ghana: Officials initiate build of avocado processing factory
- 2019-05-28 Does the Chinese market for quick-frozen fruits and vegetables have potential to grow?
- 2019-05-24 Limited edition mango salad introduced in time for mango month
- 2019-05-22 Washington producer expands to sliced, peeled and diced pears
- 2019-05-17 Del Monte Foods makes a move into frozen and refrigerated