- Business Development Manager - Italy
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Key accounter - BNL, Germany, France, UK
- General Manager | Fresh Produce | Holland
- Blueberry Farm Manager - Abbotsleigh, Australia
- Greenhouse Technician UNH, Durham, NH, USA
- Sales Coordinator Europe Division
- Senior Grower - Two Wells, Australia
- Field Service Technicians - Chile, South Africa, UK, USA, and New Zealand
- Operations Manager young plant production farm - East Africa
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Namibia: Demand for organic produce exceeds supply
During the workshop, organised by the African Union (AU), Smith said there is a high demand in Namibia for organic agricultural produce as people prefer food that is healthy, nutritious and free from harmful pesticides or genetically modified organisms (GMOs). In addition to providing training on organic farming operations, the workshop covered natural management techniques for pests, marketing of produce and compliance with organic standards.
The AU Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture Policy Officer, Jonathan Nyarko Ocran, said development of organic agriculture is a key component of the 2014 AU Year of Agriculture and Food Security. Ocran said the programme also marks the 10th anniversary of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP). CAADP, a flagship programme of the African Union, encourages AU members to allocate at least 10 percent of their total public expenditure to agriculture.
Currently, 50 of the 54 AU countries use the CAADP framework to develop their agriculture. Ocran said that organic and near-organic agricultural methods and technologies are ideally suited for many poor and marginalized smallholder farmers, as they require minimal or no external inputs and also use locally and naturally available materials to produce high-quality products.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-25 Lidl wants to expand organic share to five percent "short-term"
- 2019-06-20 Organto expanding distribution of organic asparagus
- 2019-06-19 Australia: Lockyer Valley farming group benefits from Woolworths organic fund
- 2019-06-18 "I first had to explain to those responsible what it's all about"
- 2019-06-18 New techniques to prevent fraud with organic products
- 2019-06-17 "Spanish supermarkets bet on organic private labels"
- 2019-06-14 "Our company has the largest organic acreage in Campo de Cartagena"
- 2019-06-13 Danish supermarkets aiming for 30% organic by 2030
- 2019-06-12 How forgotten vegetables returned to our plates
- 2019-06-11 Qatar's organic farming continuing to grow
- 2019-06-10 France: Magazine warns against the flaws of organic products
- 2019-06-06 Canova now producing organic strawberries, melons and watermelons
- 2019-06-05 France: Record number of farms convert to organic production
- 2019-06-04 Togo is West Africa’s leading exporter of organic products to EU
- 2019-05-31 "Spanish organic agriculture depends on Dutch R&D"
- 2019-05-31 Organic tomatoes, safe from the "Tuta absoluta"
- 2019-05-31 Conf and FNAB leave the Interfel Organic Committee
- 2019-05-29 Organic fresh vegetables go from 20,000 tons in 2018 to 32,000 tons in 2020
- 2019-05-27 Farming UK: Organic producer numbers increase, total acreage dropping
- 2019-05-22 "At the moment we are struggling with sales difficulties in the organic sector"