- Cultivation specialist Floriculture
- Technical Sales Specialist - Canada
- Crop Supervisor - Australia
- Senior Business development- / Sales Manager - The Netherlands
- Global VP of Sales & Marketing
- Product Manager - Europe
- Product Manager, Horticulture - De Lier, the Netherlands
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fruit Logistica 2020 photo report
- “Jackfruit as a meat-replacement is a winning product”
- Kenya agriculture leaders set for first-of-its-kind summit to tackle sector challenges
- Late grape season may provide some relief for some Australian exporters after coronavirus disruptions
- Brazilian ginger grows market share as low-volume Chinese season is expected
Top 5 -last week
- Coronavirus creates demand for New Zealand organic apples
- Tight avo market but Fuertes from Tzaneen will start picking up
- Chinese exports and imports feel the impact of coronavirus
- Avocado's water consumption is proportional to its nutritional value
- Saturated citrus market causes falling prices in US
Top 5 -last month
India: Banana aphids hit plantations, prices soar
These aphids acquire and transmit the virus when they feed on the infected banana cells. Owing to the disease, the price of banana has hit the roof. Kadali variety of banana is priced at an ever high of `65 per kg.
Generally, the price of Mysore banana is below `20 per kg. Now, it has now touched `32 per kg. Nendra is priced at `44 kg. The price of Cavendish has reached `20. It is generally below `12 per kg in the city.
The flow of banana from Tiptur, Chikmagalur and Shimoga has declined due to aphids.
As there is a huge demand for Tiptur banana in Mumbai, a huge portion of the yield is sent to Mumbai. Merchants in Central Market suspect this to be the reason for the reduced flow of banana to Mangalore.
As aphids destroy the plantain leaves, there is a shortage of leaves too. The leaves are generally priced at `120 per 100.
Ganesh Kumar, a banana merchant in Central Market, said the current price is `300 for 100 plantain leaves. “As the supply of plantain leaves from Puttur, Udupi and Sullia taluk has stopped, the prices during Deepavali may go up to `400 per 100 leaves,” he said.
Janardhana Gowda of Parla in Puttur taluk said banana cultivation had been severely hit in the recent years. “Due to monkey menace that was rampant in the region, we did not get the expected yield. But this year, banana cultivation has been hit by aphids. We are forced to buy bananas from the market at a higher price,” he said.
The owner of IMK, a wholesale dealer of banana in Central Market, said due to the banana aphids, there is a mismatch between supply and demand. The same situation will prevail for the next few months as the crops have already been damaged, he said.
Horticulture Department officials have directed the farmers to consult the Agriculture Science Centre and taluk office of the department to get tips on preventing the disease.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-02-21 Europe ratifies that it won't lower the import tariff for third-country bananas
- 2020-02-21 "Of all the fruits that are exported to Europe, bananas continue to be the most consumed"
- 2020-02-20 Rising prices for bananas
- 2020-02-20 China: Price of bananas is coming down
- 2020-02-20 Researchers study the impact of desalinated water on the cultivation of Canarian bananas
- 2020-02-20 Panama is home to the world's largest fried plantain
- 2020-02-19 Chinese not too enthusiastic for Panama-resistant banana
- 2020-02-19 Which stage of a banana's ripening is best?
- 2020-02-18 Costa Rica exported 120 million boxes of bananas in 2019
- 2020-02-18 Cambodian banana exports solid but mangoes struggling due to effects Corvid-19
- 2020-02-17 Fusarium experts from Taiwan visit Honduras
- 2020-02-14 Banana crops in La Palma need four times as much irrigation water as avocados
- 2020-02-14 Transport cost of Chinese bananas "unusually" high
- 2020-02-13 Mexico continues to export bananas to China
- 2020-02-13 Colombia's banana sector will have a new biosafety laboratory
- 2020-02-13 Banana industry Philippines seeks government assistance amid Covid-19 scare
- 2020-02-13 Banana prices sharply decline in Uzbek markets due to coronavirus
- 2020-02-12 Biosecurity Queensland takes to the sky against Panama TR4
- 2020-02-12 Banana prices stable with slight increases in China
- 2020-02-11 Cirad launches alliance to address threats to global banana production