- Lead Engineer (Horticultural Systems)
- Head Grower - Kenya
- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Manager / director vegetable processing Russia
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
Port of Charleston
Firm opens warehouse for frozen foods in Charleston region
Atlanta-based Agro Merchants Group is leasing a portion of the former Piggly Wiggly distribution center, which Agro has upgraded with high-tech freezing equipment and a Department of Agriculture inspection room.
The 121,000-square-foot facility more than doubles the amount of cold-storage space available in the Charleston market, which could encourage more importers and exporters of meat and other fresh foods to use the local port rather than Savannah.
"In some respect, we are taking a risk by coming to a market like this because we are putting a lot of pallet positions in a space that's going to be competing with a more mature market in Savannah," said Chris Hughes, president of Agro Merchants Group. "But I happen to think that, because of all the things the port has to offer here, and the fact that our customers have told us, 'Hey, we really want to be in Charleston,' ... we think it's a really good spot for us."
The Port of Charleston had about 9 percent of the refrigerated cargo market share last year, while Savannah had 28 percent. The State Ports Authority said recently that it hopes to catch up with its Georgia rival by supporting and investing in more cold-storage facilities like Agro, whose temperature-controlled space near Interstate 26 and Jedburg Road has enough room to store 14,000 pallets.
Jim Newsome, president and CEO of the SPA, said Thursday on Twitter that Agro Merchants is a "world class facility to support the import/export cold chain."
The SPA is contributing $12 million toward the expansion of the New Orleans Cold Storage property on Remount Road in North Charleston. Also, California-based Lineage Logistics is reviving a stalled plan to build a 340,000-square-foot refrigerated warehouse in Palmetto Commerce Park between Ladson and Ashley Phosphate roads.
Agro was formed early last year. With financial partner Oaktree Capital Management, it operates more than 1.8 million square feet of refrigerated warehouse space.
Its new facility near Summerville will employ about 70 workers, Hughes said, and a number of them worked at the former Piggly Wiggly warehouse.
"We worked closely with Piggly Wiggly to ensure we could transition as many of those employees as possible," Hughes said. "They know the facility, they're trained on forklifts and such, so it's mutually beneficial because it shortens the learning curve for us, and it makes sure that fewer of those people are out of jobs."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-24 West Africa Container Terminal: More investments in equipment
- 2019-05-24 Portico go to great lengths with arrival of new container vessel
- 2019-05-23 Port of Dunkirk: a future trading platform between China and France
- 2019-05-23 Globe Tracker enables IoT on reefers for Dole
- 2019-05-23 Peel Ports Group acquires shipping business Quality Freight (UK)
- 2019-05-22 The Polar Ecuador ship was christened in the Port of Antwerp
- 2019-05-21 More rail/boat transport to avoid traffic jams
- 2019-05-20 Planned connection between Wilhelmshaven - Scandinavia
- 2019-05-20 Uruguay has a new maritime route to export citrus to the US
- 2019-05-20 Colombia's Port of Santa Marta can now export avocados to the US
- 2019-05-20 Maersk strengthens trade between West Coast Latin America and North Europe
- 2019-05-17 “We would like to capitalise on fruit and vegetables coming from Spain"
- 2019-05-16 International Container Terminal Services Ecuador handles mega ship
- 2019-05-15 Reefer containers: the new logistics bubble
- 2019-05-14 “Within 24 hours, all of Germany is supplied in time window desired by customer, regardless of shipment size”
- 2019-05-14 India: Anantapur-Amaravati highway to trigger regional development
- 2019-05-14 Slovenian port of Koper opens second truck gate
- 2019-05-14 The MIN Rungis train of early seasonal produce in danger: La Semmaris invests 300,000 euros
- 2019-05-13 Chile: The Pacific Mermaid arrives at the Port of Coquimbo
- 2019-05-10 US: New vessel bringing Savannah Ports more connectivity to Central & South America