- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- South Africa issues notice of termination of some citrus exports to the EU
- Ozone brings MRLs of fungicides and pesticides down within limits
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL POMEGRANATE MARKET
- "Disappointing period for mandarins recently, no stocks of oranges"
- “North American blueberry industry needs to innovate to become competitive”
Essential oil treatment to control crown rot disease in bananas
The main fungal agents of Crown rot of banana fruit are Fusarium semitectum e Colletotrichum musae.
The scientists at Department of Plant Pathology, National Research Centre (Giza, Egypt), have tested first in vitro and then in vivo the efficacy of different essential oils in inhibiting the growth of fungi responsible for crown rot of banana.
For the study, the essential oil of cinnamon, thyme, bitter almonds, sweet almonds were assayed. The essential oils have been applied as coating at different concentrations from 0.125% to 1% in the in vitro conditions and from 1% to 4% in the in vivo storage conditions.
In vitro tests showed that the essential oils of cinnamon and bitter almonds, applied at the lower concentration of 0.125%, significantly reduced the fungal development by 63% and 44%, respectively. The percentage of reduction of the fungal development gradually increased with increasing the concentration of the two essential oils up to reach the 100% reduction using 1% concentration. At 1% concentration, the essential oils of thyme and sweet almonds have reduced the fungal development by 71% and 63%, respectively.
In vivo tests on artificially inoculated fruits showed that the essential oils used for post-harvest treatment significantly affected the incidence and severity of crown rot.
The fungal development was reduced by 100% in bananas treated with thyme and cinnamon essential oil at 4% concentration, while it was reduced by 87% and 79% in bananas treated with sweet and bitter almond oils, respectively.
Click here to enlarge the table.
The scientists have also evaluated the impact of postharvest treatment with essential oils on bananas organoleptic properties and they have concluded that there were not significant differences among bananas treated with cinnamon, bitter and sweet almond oils and untreated fruits (control) with respect to flavour, aroma, taste and overall acceptability.
Source: Abd-Alla MA, El-Gamal NG, El-Mougy NS, Abdel-Kader MM, Post-harvest treatments for controlling crown rot disease of Williams banana fruits (Musa acuminata L.) in Egypt, 2014, Plant Pathology & Quarantine, Vol. 4, pagg. 1-12.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-18 Banana exports in Philippines down 10% over last seven months
- 2020-09-17 What's the difference between a businessman, an entrepreneur, and a consultant?
- 2020-09-16 FarmTrace can track a banana’s journey from farm to consumer
- 2020-09-16 Chinese banana import declines as domestic production expands
- 2020-09-15 Panamanian banana exports to Asia and the United States increase
- 2020-09-15 Concern among Ecuadorian banana growers about the restriction of mobility in the cantons
- 2020-09-15 Low productivity banana industry in Saint Lucia
- 2020-09-15 Chinese banana prices fluctuated slightly, but are now expected to rise
- 2020-09-14 Female chef becomes internet celebrity with banana paintings
- 2020-09-11 'Transhipping ripened QLD bananas from Victoria is placing South Australian regions at risk'
- 2020-09-11 Colombian banana exports increase during the first half of the year
- 2020-09-11 'Bananas still top choice baby snack'
- 2020-09-10 Banana industry Saint Lucia is near collapse
- 2020-09-10 “I have a vision and passion for growing the best organic bananas in the world”
- 2020-09-10 Almost every second Fairtrade banana in Germany will be bought at Lidl
- 2020-09-10 New case of Panama TR4 confirmed in Far North Queensland
- 2020-09-10 Indian scientists claim to have found a cure for Panama Disease
- 2020-09-09 Prices of bananas up in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta
- 2020-09-08 Ghana: Asante-Akim North District exports to Togo & Burkina Faso
- 2020-09-08 Belize: Реорlе’ѕ Unіtеd Раrtу wants government assistance for banana industry