- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
- Greenhouse grower / production manager
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
By Nadav Nitzan, Ph.D.
Postharvest pathology of beans
Following harvest, pods should be handled with care to avoid skin injury, and hydro-cooled to 5-7.5oC to remove field heat (Fig. 4), prevent water loss, minimize the incidence of decay and prevent rapid quality decrease. During storage, temperature should be maintained at 5-7.5oC with 95-100% relative humidity. Nevertheless, temperature should not drop below 5oC, otherwise chilling injury, which symptoms are rust-discolored spots on the pods, will occur (Fig. 5). In addition, it is suggested to avoid exposure to ethylene as loss of green pigmentation and increased browning are likely to occur.
StePac offers bulk and retail packaging for a variety of bean types (Figs. 6 & 7). Our Xtend® MA/MH packaging preserve color and glossy appearance, reduce dehydration of pods due to modified humidity, preserve firmness and prevent shrivelling. The modified atmosphere reduces decay and mitigates russeting and other chilling injury symptoms. Packing beans in StePac's Xtend® Modified Atmosphere/Modified Humidity Packaging is therefore advantageous, preserving field fresh flavor and nutritional value during prolonged storage, reduces waste in the supply chain, facilitates market expansion and sea and land transport and reduces logistical costs.
For more information:
Tel: +972 (0)4 6123514
Fax: +972 (0)4 9872946
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-15 "Not too colorful; the product must speak for itself"
- 2021-01-14 New plastic-free crate cover
- 2021-01-13 Citrus cartons unveiled for Lunar New Year
- 2021-01-13 APAL Post-harvest Seminar goes online to explore smart packhouse
- 2021-01-12 Bottom of fresh herbs bag becomes growing pot
- 2021-01-11 KM Packaging launches compostable product range
- 2021-01-11 How should fruit be described on packaging labels?
- 2021-01-11 Third packer for cold-hardy citrus
- 2021-01-07 “We decided to stand out with improvements in appearance for our packaging”
- 2021-01-07 Smart big bags measuring temperature
- 2021-01-07 Chinese export of agricultural mesh bags increased during the pandemic
- 2021-01-05 Scotty Brand cuts 27 tons of plastic from its packaging
- 2021-01-05 Azura Group puts 100% CO₂-neutrality on tomato packaging
- 2021-01-05 Canadian apple company introduces biodegradable packaging
- 2021-01-04 "This year will certainly hold one or two more challenges for all of us"
- 2021-01-04 STEPAC Partners with J-Tech in Australia
- 2020-12-24 “More tomatoes being top sealed”
- 2020-12-24 "We are continuing to develop our packaging solutions in the new year with many new ideas and a great passion"
- 2020-12-24 Brazil creates biodegradable packaging for mango exports
- 2020-12-24 How to choose the best packaging for a product?