- Sales and Trading
- Grower and Project Planner Vertical Farming - Aarhus - Denmark
- Offre d’emploi de Responsable Commercial Senior Sales Manager
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America, Argentina, Ecuador, Columbia
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Latin America: From sustainable production to consumption
With 6.8 million hectares, Latin America has 18 percent share of global organic farmland. More then USD 1 billion of organic products is exported from the region per year, however local markets are insignificant in size. The region is also a major source of fair trade products, such as cocoa, sugar and coffee, yet there is no domestic market. Most Rainforest Alliance and UTZ Certified products grown in the region are also destined for Europe and North America.
Organic Monitor sees product portfolio as a ‘key ingredient’ for local markets to develop. Most Latin American producers are focusing on agricultural commodities for export markets. Lack of domestic production is leading some retailers to import finished products like organic baby food and beverages from the US. High transportation and import costs further inflate product prices.
A bigger obstacle however is changing consumer behaviour. Many Latin American perceive organic, fair trade and other co-labeled products as luxuries. Consumers maybe becoming more aware of sustainability issues, however perceptions will have to change if local markets are to take root.
The challenges associated with sustainable food production and consumption will be featured at the Latin American edition of the Sustainable Foods Summit. The summit will be hosted in São Paulo on 27-28th March. Leading organizations involved in sustainable foods will be participating; they include Native Products, Unilever, Sodexo, Organics Brasil, Pão de Açúcar, Wal-Mart, IBD Certification, Fairtrade International, Marine Stewardship Council, UTZ Certified, Rainforest Alliance and Imaflora.
For more information:
Ms. Tina Gill
Tel: +44 (44) 20 8567 0788
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-20 France: The 2022 International Agricultural Show will take place
- 2022-01-20 Demo for hydroponic lettuce varieties
- 2022-01-19 New date set for Brassica & Leafy Salad Conference
- 2022-01-18 Aquafarm fair postponed by three months
- 2022-01-17 "If all people play by the rules, it can work"
- 2022-01-17 Trade fair implementation severely jeopardized due to current events
- 2022-01-14 Macfrut - bookings as expected
- 2022-01-10 Industry leaders to be honored at TIPA banquet
- 2022-01-07 Fruit Matchmaking Mexico-Europe to be held on January 19 and 20
- 2022-01-05 Ecuador will convene a Latin American banana summit on January 12
- 2022-01-05 Agritrade’s 20th edition will be an in-person event
- 2022-01-04 Valencia will host the I International Citrus Congress
- 2021-12-24 Happy Holidays from the FreshPlaza team!
- 2021-12-24 Happy Christmas from the FreshPlaza team!!
- 2021-12-20 "The Federal Association of Producer Organizations will not participate"
- 2021-12-17 Macfrut aims at the African continent
- 2021-12-17 Two content packed days for MedFEL
- 2021-12-15 The NovelFarm fair is to be held again in February
- 2021-12-13 Industry workshop in Spain showcases avocado meter
- 2021-12-09 Rectification of article on UK ethylene supplier